What's Your DAI (Digital Audio Interface)?

I just realized we didn’t have a topic specifically for Digital Audio Interfaces.

What do you use?
Why do you like it?
What are some things to look for?
What are some things to avoid?

What’s Your DAI?
  • Apogee
  • Arturia
  • Audient
  • Behringer
  • Black Lion Audio
  • Focusrite
  • IK Multimedia
  • Line 6
  • M-Audio
  • Mackie
  • MOTU
  • Native Instruments
  • NUX
  • PreSonus
  • Solid State Logic
  • Steinberg
  • Tascam
  • Universal Audio
  • Zoom
  • Other

0 voters

If you would like to share your specific model, post it below. :smiley: :+1:

5 Likes

I literally just got my new one in, Arturia Audiofuse Rev2. Will have to get it setup before I can give an honest review.

4 Likes

Behringer UMC22. I like it, but nothing to compare it to…

3 Likes

Sound Devices USBPre2

3 Likes

Zoom U-24

4 Likes

I tried to include all the ones I could remember anyone mentioning and any that are particularly common. The forum limited the options to 20.

I couldn’t remember the name, Sound Devices, but I did remember how much they cost. I don’t think we’re going to see too many of them here. :rofl:

2 Likes

I like Presonus because StudioOne is just about as robust as protools, but is easier to figure out. Really though, everything records individual stems which you can then mix and add plugins to…it’s not super important. Apollo is REALLY nice…but also really expensive.

4 Likes

Steinberg UR22C

3 Likes

@terb I’ve been meaning to ask how you like the new DAI and if their was any particular reason why you chose the Steinberg.

2 Likes

yeah the Steinberg is absolutly perfect for me. the converters are excellent, 2 channels with XLR/Jack, a gain control for each preamp, and even a pot to mix the signal from the USB (computer) and the signal from the inputs, that’s really useful to do your own mix while recording. it supports USB3 and it even has its own DSP with a few amp models, it’s not very useful for me but the models doesn’t sound bad actually.

also I have absolutly zero latency problem, zero noise.

What really decided me between the Steinberg and a Focusrite is that the Steinberg has MIDI in/out. very useful to me as it is the only way to communicate with the old pre-USB PODs.

3 Likes

I started with a Behringer UM2. This had two advantages:

1. Dirt cheap
  2. It works

Even with my total lack of recording experience the limitations of the UM2 quickly became apparent, so I have recently upgraded to a Behringer UMC204HD.

This has a bunch of advantages over the UM2:

1. 24 bit/192 kHz
  2. Metal case
  3. Separate headphone volume control
  4. 4 outputs including balanced
  5. Midi in/out
  6. -20 dB pads on both inputs (great for an active bass)
  7. Lots more features
  8. Still pretty cheap

Next on the upgrade list: Studio Monitors!

4 Likes

It’s not that I picked it as a bass DAI originally. It was part of a precision acoustic measurement test rig that’s been repurposed. Otherwise, there’s no need to spend that much.

The Pod X3 has USB on it. DAI included!

4 Likes

I wish the Zoom was USB3. Other than that, very similar feature set with the Steinberg. No amp models though :slight_smile:

5 Likes

and a good one !

3 Likes

Just got my first DAI two or three days ago: a Behringer UMC22. Nothing special I guess, but it seems to do the job. Now I’m looking for the right DAW to use with it. Talk about your rabbit hole…

3 Likes

Lots of good DAWs. I recommend Reaper or Ableton (or Logic Pro for MacOS) :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah, I know. It’s a problem, too much to choose from. I’m currently trying Cakewalk based on a couple of YouTube reviews. Supposedly it’s good for total beginners.

2 Likes

Used to have the Roland Rubix 22, but have now upgraded to the Audient iD4 MkII (nice feature set, better performance, albeit no MIDI).

3 Likes

Cakewalk is worth installing just for its drum VSTi :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve seen this one, it seems to be a very good choice for someone who wants something efficient but still simple.

3 Likes