What's Your DAI (Digital Audio Interface)?

Thanks @DaveT. I didn’t know such a thing existed. This was my main hold up from getting a Darkglass Element.

4 Likes

Yeah, right now I’ve got an older i5-4690k running on a light overclock at 3.7 (big air).

In terms of gaming, my GTX 970 is starting to get long in the tooth (can barely play Cyberpunk 2077).

I wanted to semi-retire it and turn it into a workstation. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

yeah a MIDI interface is easy to get and does not need to be part of your DAI. It’s cool when it is, but not critical.

3 Likes

That should be fine for music. And the GTX970 should still sell for more than you think (I got $300 for mine a year or two back).

edit: just checked, still selling for like $150. Deffo worth ripping out and selling :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Were you looking at the Onyx series?

These have multichannel USB recording, at least as many record streams as the mixer model number.

4 Likes

Yeah the GPU market is crazy right now. Prob gonna have to wait a year for dat RTX 3070-80 yo.

4 Likes

That’s a must. The Yamaha I am looking at has 4 on a 10 (plus the master) and that’s as minimal as I would go.

edit: oops read it wrong, it’s 2 in/out. Nope nope nope.

4 Likes

Yep! That’s the one.

3 Likes

GPU market has been crazy for last two years. I remember when all GPU’s were sold out for months because of the cryptominers. Prices went overboard too

4 Likes

This ended up being the reason I decided to send back the PreSonus AudioBox USB 96. There wasn’t anything wrong with it. It sounded fine and the headphone out was really good. I decided, since I have a computer that supports USB 3, I want a DAI that does also.

If I’m understanding all the stuff about the new USB designations…

• All USB C ports are USB 3.x compliant
  • But not all USB 3.x ports are USB C

You can have a USB 3 port that is the old style USB connection.

Just something to think about if you’re considering getting a DAI with USB 3.

5 Likes

correct

3 Likes

I really like usb-c but I also work on a mac that only has usb-c ports. I see a lot of new gear including this type of connection too.

4 Likes

Ok here we go.

8 channel mixer, USB is 12 in/4 out. Will record 12-track to SD card too. About $350.

Some onboard effects plus the EQ and so on you’d expect.

Not necessarily the best choice but a good example of what I’m talking about.

Looks like the Mackie Onyx line is 8x4 too.

3 Likes

Most recording software makers publish minimum system specs. There’s not much work to just push the audio data bits to storage. It’s the VST plug-ins to the DAW that burn processor speed. Part of the trick is keeping any background software from misbehaving and causing a glitch when it decides it wants to check for updates or something. Low latency monitoring requires a speedy DAI connection method.

2 Likes

Yes, back in September I tried the NUX as a DAI and it does an adequate job. If you go to the Post your covers! thread and look for my cover of “409” by The Beach Boys, I did that with the NUX in a hotel room in San Diego.

2 Likes

Yep. I remember that now. I also remember how surprised I was at how clean it sounded. The NUX was so new I was very skeptical.

2 Likes

I think it’s different if it’s a home approach as compared to a career one. A career one you will likely attend a college sound technician degree program, and likely would get a business loan to get all that stuff you would need to have a pro level studio.

There is nothing wrong at all with using Reaper, Logic or StudioOne (the latter of which I use personally). Me recommending pro tools is kind of like someone recommending a Fender Precision. Pro-Tools is the P-Bass of DAWs.

1 Like

This is what I have

USB-C and has MIDI. Like @howard said, not a game changer but nice to have. Of course for the more pro out there, there are 4+ input models. I just need 1 at this point.

6 Likes

Nah… these are DAWs. StudioOne Artist came with my Presonus (maker of my DAI)

2 Likes

Yes, I know they are DAWs. I thought this was a thread about DAIs.

4 Likes