What's your DREAM bass line to learn?

Hey @muff and @liamjcooke, just realized I have an old Youtube video where I run through the unison lick of Sir Duke, might help a little bit -

4 Likes

This is why you are THE MAN. Nice one Josh, Ta! edit. Started going through it again. Suddenly started playing old Thin Lizzy riffs? Where I first had that thing us old guys have of practicing by skipping the needle back again and again till the record eventually jumped forever! I’d never really thought to associate the two songs before or a few others I suddenly found under my fingers. Scales, weird things.

3 Likes

Excellent, thanks for this Josh!

1 Like

WAX ON!
WAX OFF!!

3 Likes

I know! And mind the leg sweep!

1 Like

Well, Les Claypool said the benchmark is Roundabout. If Les found it challenging , my life’s may be done if I could master it.

2 Likes

Nice one! I freaking love Chris Squire’s playing on that, such great nasty pick tone.

1 Like

What about Les himself, covers King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Rush et al. Unique on the Bass. His own style, sound and stage presence. Proves to me that you can be influenced heavily by many yet still attain individuality however idiosyncratic.

4 Likes

I’m a big Primus fan, just saw em a few weeks ago in Atlanta. What a talent!!! Les is the man but you can’t take anything away from Lar and Herb. Wonderful musicians…reminiscent Of Jack Bruce holding his own with Eric and Ginger.

3 Likes

There are so many I’d like to get down one day. This one is courtesy of Flea on a Young MC song that was played to death when I was finishing up high school. I guess it just seems like it would be fun.

3 Likes

Wow.
Thank you for this.
Yes - this bass line fueled many a junior high dance party, and many a current Karaoke jam. Very good call.

1 Like

Fun! I hadn’t heard this tune until now.

1 Like

What lesson number is the one where you teach us to move our heads like Flea in this one? hehe

1 Like

Haha! I think I talk about bass face in a lesson somewhere, not sure about head bobbing. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You know - one of my favorite bass lines to play, listen to and teach has been “Soul to Squeeze” by Red Hot Chili Peppers. It’s so melodic and drives the song, and has great variations at the end - and if you can match his head moves from the video, you can retire. You’ve done it. You climbed the mountain.

5 Likes

Flea, is the Man! That is the way I love a bass to sound.

1 Like

Thanks Gio! Off to download the TAB’s to that. If I tried to move my head like Flea, my brains would spill out. :crazy_face:

Ian Dury and the Blockheads - Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick

When I can play this Bass line I will die a very happy man, maybe one day.

2 Likes

Good news @Derek, I’ve got you covered -

I did a cover of that tune too, unfortunately it’s been blocked due to copyright for ages now. What a great bass line.

2 Likes

I think it actually sounds harder than it is. Just takes a lot of stubborn repetitious woodshedding. Im not too far from being able to play it and Im not very far along in my development. In fact, if I concentrated more on looking up tabs to regurgitate instead of trying to actually become a better musician Id probably have it by now. You should try it. You may be surprised. The biggest issue with this one (as well as knights of cydonia) is stamina. The 16ths get to you after a while.

1 Like