What's your DREAM bass line to learn?

Yeah, that’s a big issue with another tune off that same record, Stockholm Syndrome. So fast for so many minutes!

2 Likes

I got to see them in a club. Thought (as did my mates) they were stunning with a future. Understatement! Best we had seen since Radiohead at the same venue.

1 Like

I‘ll go for

I never tried to play with Plektron up to today. But in order to play this I would have to I guess…
2 Likes

Technically you could play it with your fingers, you’d just get a different tone.

I will try, have to find the tabs though. Don‘t have the ears to write it out myself yet

1 Like

YYZ by Rush. I can play the first 30 seconds or so, then it all falls apart. It’s like playing Arban’s Carnival of Venice for me as a brass player… It’s my Waterloo…

My fingers have to get a lot faster and comfortable on the fretboard without looking in order to come close to some of the stuff Geddy makes look effortless…

1 Like

Yeah, that tune is fast! Not to mention how hard you have to play to get the Geddy tone at the same time. :slight_smile:

You did mention bass face during the lessons. To get the Flea bass line down for this you need the pound puppy pants like he had on in the video.

2 Likes

… fully agree.

1 Like

The first thing that came to mind for me is Genius of Love by Tom Tom Club. Not that it’s technically insane, I just think it’s a great bass line and within the realm of possibility for me. Other than that, pretty much any Om song.

1 Like

What I really would like to be able to play some day is a bass line like what Frans Vollink is playing here on this tune - in the first part, but especially also during the keyboard solo. It just flows and grooves so beautifully (and, seemingly, effortlessly) and is so melodious at the same time… the only bad thing I can say about it that it basically completely draws me in and “distracts” me from listening to the main melody or the keyboard solo :smile:

And speaking about solos… oh, well, actually, let’s not even speak about the bass solo - pfffff :wink:

1 Like

Ha yeah, if he were any busier he wouldn’t even have time to play the song! :stuck_out_tongue:

Just kidding, sounds great. Cool melodic and rhythmic ideas. :guitar:

Roundabout by Yes and A Dark Light by Aram Bedrosian.

1 Like

My dream bass line is Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass “A Taste of Honey”. I hope I can play this some day. If you’re not familiar with the piece, here is the link to the transcription with musical notation .

Jerry

2 Likes

Can’t see why you shouldn’t be able to play that, @JerryP. It’s a nice goal to set for yourself, and a realistic on, too! For starters, I guess you know that you can change the settings in the video (using the “cogwheel”) to slow it down without affecting the pitch. Anyway, great piece to learn some walking bass!

Thanks!

2 Likes

@joergkutter Thanks for the “cogwheel” tip. I was unaware of that feature. I think it will be a while before I attempt it, but as Marty McFly says “If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything”.

2 Likes

I was also unaware of that little “cogwheel” feature while watching these videos! Even though I have a LONG way to go to attempt this kind of thing, it’s a great way to slow the fingering down and get one’s head around what they’re doing - much appreciate the tip joergkutter!

-Kev

2 Likes

In all fairness, guys, that is something I also only picked up right here in this forum! It’s a real treasure trove, not only for the bass, but all sorts of stuff related to music.

2 Likes

Agreed! Even though almost all of the tips, tricks and embedded videos that Josh has up here are beyond me, it is indeed a fantastic resource (and source of constant inspiration as well) to look through and learn from - SO glad I found this site!

And may I say that one of the biggest reasons I REALLY like this site, is that folks like Josh, Gio and many others that post here are so incredibly humble, patient, enthusiastic and happy to help the newbs learn! It is a lot easier to take in what lessons and ideas there are out there when they are shared with such a great attitude!

Cheers,
Kev

5 Likes

Thanks @kevwheez! It’s a real pleasure to have people actually WANT to hear you talk about bass all the time…

3 Likes