What's your DREAM bass line to learn?

I told a buddy of mine that I was learning bass and he recommended I check out Michael Manring. And wow! I want to learn to do this…

2 Likes

Manring is so cool! Only dude in history who plays like that, or even close.

1 Like

I have tons on the “if only” list but the overarching theme is “fast and fiddly”!

-M- (Matthieu Chedid) - “Solidarité” (made all the harder by no bass tab being available yet)
Tokyo Incidents - “OSCA” (the double-speed section after the false ending is crazy) and also “Killer Tune” which seems a little easier
Rush - “Digital Man”
Frankie Valli - “The Night” another without a bass tab surprisingly, and the chorus definitely needs one.
Duran Duran - “Girls on Film” or “New Religion”
The Jam - "Down at the Tube Station at Midnight
Minutemen - “This Aint No Picnic”
Gold Motel - “Brand New Kind of Blue” - this was the best surprise on the Rocksmith game. The bass is quite muted on the studio track which is a shame, but the line is still great and gets super technical towards the middle.

6 Likes

Every day I hear another song that a few months ago I would’ve thought was way beyond my ability, but now I’m hearing more of those songs as far simpler than I’d ever realised - at least in terms of how complicated the structure is. The skill to actually play them may be out of reach just now, but they don’t seem unattainable any more.

My target songs are still a little restrained; Sultans of Swing, Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick, Santana’s Black Magic Woman.

4 Likes

Cool list of songs and bands - plenty here I’ve never checked out before. Thanks for the share!

2 Likes

Easy, for me to answer this one.

Anthrax - ‘Got The Time’ Anthrax - Got The Time (Official Music Video) - YouTube

You gotta love that!

5 Likes

I don’t know Anthrax that well… good good shout there. And now I’m just watching Anthrax videos on You Tube.
Damn it… I had work to do…

3 Likes