What's your favorite DAW?

I’ve only used it a little myself but friends that use it use it more as a live performance tool than just a studio/recording DAW, which apparently it lends itself to better than others. This is full Ableton, not Lite.

A lot of electronic music musicians and DJs use it for this.

4 Likes

I get the impression that Ableton lends itself more to professionals than to casual users like me. I got the light version free with my Zoom DAI, and soon discovered that I would need the pro version to get all the features, but the upgrade price is ridiculously high.
Reaper cost me $60 and it has everything I could possibly need for my level of use. Plus, YouTube is replete with Reaper tutorials, whereas Ableton tutorials are sparse.

2 Likes

Reaper is a real professional-level DAW, no problem with this :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Terb thank you for convincing me to switch from Audacity to Reaper …

3 Likes

you’re very welcome and I swear you won’t regret it !

3 Likes

Agreed, it’s excellent. Just as capable as any other DAW, inexpensive, and polished. Great app.

4 Likes

I thought about getting Reaper and there’s something I want to tell the others: seems one can get a temporary license in lockdown times:

I assume there’s also some kind of trial period, but this makes sure that I at least try that DAW out.

4 Likes

Yes, they give you a 60 day trial before they ask that you pay the $60 for the license. This has always been the case, way before the lockdown.
Even after the trial period is over the app doesn’t lock up if you haven’t paid, they just gently remind you that it’s not free and put you on a guilt trip if you don’t pay.
I was happy to pay the $60 after my trial, Reaper is very much worth the price.

4 Likes

So, I thought I’d give Reaper a spin.

That was a bumpy start. I spent at least half an hour getting the configuration to the point where I could walk through the “First MIDI Song” video…

So the jury’s still out for me.

2 Likes

I started a “Reaper Questions” thread, so feel free to ask questions or get help there. There are a couple very knowledgeable Reaper experts on this forum. I’m not one of them.

2 Likes

Good to know. I was about to do the same.

1 Like
2 Likes

:rofl: :grin: :rofl:
Funnily enough, that was the FIRST thing I figured out! :rofl:

1 Like

Well, that’s not good. I’ve not been using my daw (ableton lite) for ages now, but I wanted to put a few things together yesterday and found that all my sound patches won’t load correctly.

Turns out the external hard drive is broken.

So that’s every single sound on my PC that needs to be re-downloaded when the replacement drive comes. I’ve estimated that it will take approximately 48 hours!!!

I knew there was a reason I was just playing bass physically and ignoring DAW’s :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh man. That sucks.
:-1:

Yeah, it’s a bit crap to say the least. And the native instruments frontend programs that you need to have installed for the komplete kontrol and the mashine mikro are now completely confused as I attempted to install them again in a different location. So now they’re looking in a new location but also trying to find the old location - no matter how many times I uninstall the programs.

It’s all just a big mess :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@eric.kiser have you ever seen or tried the iRig HD 2?
Works on PC, have all pedals for cheap price and recordings.

I’m loving it

1 Like

Sorry but Logic pro x is my holy grail.

Is it only for Mac?

Yes.
In my early days it was Atari only and now even garageband is such a cool thing although it is a free onboard solution