What's your favorite DAW?

On a mac I would definitely recommend Logic Pro X.

For me, my favorite is Reaper. I’m totally bought in at this point and it’s really, really powerful. Excellent MIDI and plugin support, perfect host for VSTi’s, and comes with so much stuff that I am still constantly finding new cool stuff. To the point that even on my mac I still use Reaper now over GB or Logic.

1 Like

And what hardware you recommend? For beginners…

1 Like

For computers? Or for recording hardware?

For computers I would recommend a mac if you like them and can afford a decent one but your software selection is better on Windows for music just like everything else. I use both and greatly prefer MacOS as a user, but my mac is a laptop and my PC is my real beast machine, so I do everything in Windows. Unfortunately as much as I love linux (and I use it daily), I can’t recommend it for music. In comparison to the Mac and expecially Windows, your choices are extremely limited there.

I recommend getting a real audio interface. Even the entry level ones are much better than something like an iRig. I like my Zoom U-24 a lot, but the Focusrite and Presonus entry level options look great to me too. Behringer’s inexpensive ones are worth checking out too.

I also recommend investing in a good quality pair of studio monitor headphones but that’s optional. Still, nothing is better for mixing.

4 Likes

Opinions on this one?

And what interface would I need?

I’d recommend getting the 2i2 instead of the Solo. Two inputs are nice if you ever get another instrument and the combo XLR/TRS inputs are a nice feature.

This would connect to your computer via USB and you plug your bass or pedals directly in to it.

3 Likes

I just got a used 2i2 today and I’m pretty happy with the quality and the sound

3 Likes

Then I need to buy a separate software or there’s one included???

2 Likes

The short answer is no, not initially, but likely yes long term.

Typically audio interfaces will come with a license for the “Lite” version of some DAW. Focusrite actually goes over the top with this one by giving you licenses to the free/“lite” versions of two DAWs (Pro Tools First and Ableton Live Lite) with some extra goodies bundled, along with some good VST plugins for effects that you can apply in the DAW, and a three month subscription to Splice’s sounds library, which is nice for electronic musicians but may or may not matter to you. But it’s a nice overall software bundle to include with an audio interface.

However if you get more serious about recording you will eventually want the full version of a DAW, at which point you will need to upgrade and buy it.

But for starters, the Lite versions should be fine.

2 Likes

I just didn’t understand the down side of iRig or its software… It looks pretty similar…

2 Likes

The iRig 2 is just an adapter that uses your sound card to do the digital/analog conversion like it would a microphone input.

A dedicated audio interface is basically a higher quality analog to digital converter, usually with a nice clean dedicated preamp to bring up the sound level, and way more flexible input/output options than you’ll get with something like a iRig 2 going in to a mic in jack on a computer.

The iRig Duo is an audio interface and might be ok. I haven’t checked them out.

2 Likes

@Guto i’m 100% with @howard and his explanation.
I’ve bought the irig 2 as well but it’s more a toy compared to the other ones. And to complete @howard s experience a Mac mini for example comes with garageband onboard whereby a pc pretty soon needs far more RAM and power if you want to go serious but this is more a question of taste and philosophy I believe.
Thanx to @howard he pretty much nailed it :wink:

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking about what setup I will hatch soon.

I have GB on an iPad but I’m not sure how anything will shake out yet. For Windows software I will also be looking at Cakewalk. I know @PamPurrs landed on (the popular) Reaper but I also think she may have tried Cakewalk too.

I want to have higher quality video when I do my covers - better than a phone or computer camera. I will likely have a mic channel or two (vocals, mic’d amp?). So, not only thinking about the DAW right now but also hardware interface and camera setup. (My partner will use the equipment for her business so that helps defray the cost of interfaces, etc).

2 Likes

I’ve tried Cakewalk, and I think @Tokyo_Rat uses it. Bandlab is kind of spammy/annoying but Cakewalk Sonar is a solid DAW, a good choice.

Cakewalk comes with an excellent drum kit VSTi, so it’s worth downloading even if you use other DAWs.

I do prefer Reaper over it though. Personal preference.

4 Likes

I use spire to record and then export to bandlab just to get a better mix and add a touch of reverb. I’ve got cakewalk installed but I haven’t used it yet, band lab is so simple but then again my needs are pretty simple, I just level up the volumes and add reverb.

4 Likes

Now I got it!!!

Thanks Howard for explaining!!

It’s good for me because when I decide to start recording I know I have to invest a little bit more to have the necessary quality

3 Likes

my pleasure!

2 Likes

I’ve tried a few DAW’s along the way. In my experience they all do the same but it’s all about which workflow you fancy. Some are more focussed toward creating electronic music while others favour instrumental or live music. The one I’m using now is Ableton. I think I started playing around with daws like 15 years ago and back then Ableton was one of the better options for PC. Before that I started with midi-sequencers/synthesizers software in the 90’s and early 20’s like Propellerhead’s Rebirth, Rubberduck and Roland famous synths. Those were all free iirc and I didn’t had the money to buy analog gear anyway. There was also this program in MS-DOS which was insanely good for creating electronic music but I forgot the name. :slight_smile:

When I switched to Mac I tried Apple’s Garageband, Logic Pro X and Mainstage 3 (this one can be used for live like Ableton). For me Logic felt a bit more user-friendly towards recording and mixing instrumental music. I love the fact that you can generate a drum track based on your own recorded track.

I’m also looking into Luna from Universal Audio for recording. I would say that Universal Audio is one the best options for getting that “analog” vibe with software. The plugins they create are all based on authentic analog emulations. It’s not cheap and you need an UAD interface to make use of the software but it is still cheaper then building your own studio with professional (vintage) studio gear. :slight_smile:

I’m sticking with Ableton though. I think you also have to consider what you need from a daw. For some daws you get a lot of extra content (samples, drum kits, instruments, effects, etc.) when you upgrade. It’s similar with Native Instruments Komplete package which is like 600 euros but for that price you get content almost worth of 7000 euros (for dollars it’s probably the same amount). If you just want to record music and mix with other instruments I would personally advice Logic Pro x or LUNA. I guess for PC the Reaper and FruityLoops daws are also good options but I have no experience with these ones.

With the winter coming I invested a little in analog midi-synths and sequencers. Maybe I can do some weird synth stuff with the bass too. :metal:

1 Like

Talking about weird synth sound stuff. You should check out Sylvia Massy channel on YouTube if you are into authentic studio sounds. She has some really cool stuff and ideas about recording (besides the fact that she recorded a lot of legendary albums). I enjoyed the ‘show us your junk’ interview from EarthQuacker Devices with her. :wink:

2 Likes

I decided to go low tech/low cost with my initial foray into home recording, using a Behringer UM2 ($48) feeding into Audacity (free) on a Linux laptop.

This setup doesn’t have a lot of bells and whistles, but all I want to do right now is record myself playing to backing tracks, and it does that well.

I’ve never done anything like this before, so it is also functioning as a training aid as I fumble around learning to accomplish simple recording and mixing tasks.

When I get around to upgrading to some more serious gear and software I will then (hopefully) have enough experience to make informed buying decisions.

3 Likes

@Guto Keep in mind, if what you have works for you, you don’t need to change anything. If you don’t have a defined need that would require a different setup there is no reason for you to change.

On the other hand, I don’t support the idea of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” either. If you have the time, money, and interest, there’s nothing wrong with exploring what other options are out there and finding ways to improve your setup.

The Amplitube software looks pretty easy to use. For me, that’s a huge bonus. As I want to spend less time on my computer and more time playing. It’s definitely worth downloading a full DAW (like Reaper) and seeing what the difference in complexity is for what you want to accomplish.

For me, I’ve played around with Audacity. It’s fairly simple, free, and more than meets my needs.

4 Likes