What's your favorite DAW?

Onboard sequencer programming on an Ensoniq ESQ-1 and Roland drum machines here, then moving on to Master Tracks Pro :slight_smile:

Oh man. I wasn’t in to DOS at the time (I was a mac guy from the start) but I remember what you mean, the thing the demoscene guys used. Totally forget its name too.

Audacity is fine for what it is. It’s a very nice free audio editor. The problem with it is that over time you realize it’s not really a DAW. It’s lacking support for things fundamental to DAWs, like MIDI and virtual instruments.

It’s more useful to think of audacity as a nice multitrack recorder in software, with a nice editor. And it’s good at that. If that’s enough for you, then you’ll be happy with it, and it’s an excellent piece of open source software.

3 Likes

I use Ableton Live, a Focusrite Scarlet 6i6, Propellerhead Reason and a Novation Launchpad pro. The combination works great. Reason has some great synths and drums and it locks in seamlessly with Ableton. The 6i6 gives me the headroom to plug in lots of crap and I find Ableton Live is the perfect tool to help you put all your crap in a pile, so to speak. Not to mention the ease of use and ability to create your own clips in Live and shoot them off willy-nilly with the Launchpad. Hours and hours and hours of your days evaporate playing with a setup like this…(you should see how long my lawn gets… then you would know)

1 Like

Should also mention that if I were not using Reaper and liking it so much, I would definitely be using Ableton. And a majority of electronic musicians use Ableton for some very good reasons.

But really all of the DAWs are just mind bogglingly good these days. Both Reaper and Ableton (and the others) come with so much stuff. Samplers, synths, effects, analysis tools like scopes and frequency spectrum analyzers, etc. Pro Tools comes with UVI Falcon 2 at one of its tiers, one of the best software synthesizers on the market right now.

2 Likes

Which daw, software or even plugin would you recommend for absolute beginners? My son got my old midi keyboard but I’m not sure if he is ready for Ableton :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Garageband, if you have a mac or iOS devices. Free, easy and great, tons of youtube info as well. Basically similar to Logic. And GB can load AU instrument plugins so you could look at soft synths and so on.

For a PC with MIDI I would probably say just get him started on Ableton with Live Lite. Reaper would work well but it is the most complicated of the ones brought up so far.

Audacity will be useless for him as it has no MIDI support.

3 Likes

He is using a PC so Ableton live lite it is. Thanks!

3 Likes

Impulse Tracker. That was it.

2 Likes

I’m trying ProTools First (not sure if it’s free, but it came with my 2i2).
To be honest, at this point, even recording with my cellphone would be good enough so, for sure ProTools First has more than enough things for me :smiley:

Reaper, ProTools, and Ableton are the most powerful/professional DAW’s out there (based on my research and talking with a friend that has a recording studio).
You can always start with something simple/free, then move to another one if you feel like it :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks to everybody for chiming in.

With all the different answers we’ve had, it goes to show how much personal preference matters here like in so many other decisions when making music.

What works best for one person isn’t going to be the answer for everybody and your needs are going to dictate what works best for you.

2 Likes

Wow i’m impressed you found this. I wasn’t sure if it was this one, Fasttracker or Voyetra. I thought it was Voyetra because I remember it not having a proper user-interface but then again it was soooo long ago :laughing:

2 Likes

Irig HD 2 is a fantastic device, plugs into USB on a PC or Lightning port on an iOS device. Also comes with Amplitube 4 (or 5 now) and is tough to beat for the price! It’s great for playing along with backing tracks or videos as you can send that output through the irig and listen to it through your headphones along with your instrument.

4 Likes

I… kind of disagree about its pricing? It’s $100, so it is competing with audio interfaces with many more input and output options; you can get a Focusrite Scarlett Solo for the same price, a Behringer U-PHORIA for $10 less, or a Zoom U-24 for $20 more - all of which beat it (sometimes vastly) in terms of inputs, outputs and bundled software. It does greatly improve on the original iRig by being a ADC/DAC itself though, for sure. The iOS connectivity option without buying the iPad photo kit adapter is very nice as well.

It looks like a nice device, but it seems pretty expensive to me for what it is.

2 Likes

@Paul - Yeah there were tons of MOD trackers back then that people were using; ISTR Impulse emerging as the cult favorite.

I personally like Audacity simply because it’s simple. But that doesn’t hold it back. There are tons of cool effects and other stuff you can play with. Although, I’d only recommend it to someone who wants to record their bass. I’d rather use Cakewalk for making professional music.

3 Likes

Audacity is great for what it is. Nice simple recording and tracking, with a good start on editing.

The problem is it isn’t a DAW so discussing it with DAWs is kind of unfair to it. If your goal is to record yourself playing and do some editing, it’s a fine tool. If your goal is making and producing music, it is rudimentary and missing some fundamental features to the point you’ll regret getting too heavily invested in it rather than a full DAW.

2 Likes

Yeah I know it isn’t a DAW :pensive: But I mentioned it anyways because it’s still really powerful for recording bass. If you can record instruments and mix them, then to me it’s a DAW.

3 Likes

Heh, sorry if I am salty about Audacity. It’s the first DAW-like thing I picked up after getting back in to music, and my friend and I started using it to work together, before discovering it was really inadequate for our usage. I’d just assumed it had MIDI support, builtin BPM grid/measure support, virtual instrument support, etc, and was really surprised to learn it didn’t.

2 Likes

That’s fine. We’ve all gotta start somewhere, even if it doesn’t meet our expectations.

2 Likes

What about something like this?

I’m pushing on IK Multimedia because I’ve found the software simply amazing!

1 Like

This is kind of long. I wrote it to address your question while also trying to address what any beginners might need, who end up reading this later.

I’m sure reading me waffling back and forth and listing my caveats has to be annoying as hell. Bare with me. Sometimes it’s easy to forget that BassBuzz caters to the newest of the new and I don’t want to give someone the idea that they’ll have to sink a ton of money into this for making basic recordings.

For someone with less money to put into this, I would recommend using either, basic recording software, like Audacity (free) or if they have more complicated recording requirements, a DAW like Reaper (free for non commercial use). With that I would add a a DAI like the Focusrite 2i2, PreSonus AudioBox USB 96 2x2, or Zoom U-24. All of these give more versatile connectivity for less money.

You can spend even less money. Whatever works for you is the best solution. I listed those devices because that seems to be the range for cost and quality that most people seem to be satisfied with.

It’s hard to give a good answer to this question because there are so many factors involved. Based on my research, it’s a good DAI and it has some interesting features you don’t normally see on a DAI.

For you, since you like their software so much it might be worth it. For general use, comparing features to what I listed above, it’s fairly expensive. If the extra features it offers are useful to you, like built in reamping capability and the option to connect midi control pedals (damn, that’s cool), then I say, this is the one for you.

Here are some of my thoughts. These are just my opinions. Take all of this with a grain of salt.

• The software looks really cool and seems like it would be easy to use. That comes at a price and it looks like it can end up being pretty expensive with the different upgrades and add-ons.

• The amp out for reamping is a really cool feature to add to a DAI. What little I could find, that didn’t look like paid reviews, said it worked as advertised. However, I couldn’t find anything comparing it with something like a Radial reamping box. Considering a dedicated box for reamping (like the Radial) costs at least $100 this might be enough to justify the difference in price compared to the other DAI’s I listed.

• Pure/JFET switch seems like a good idea and a nice bit of versatility but it’s hard to say without being able to play around with it. I want to like it but I’m old, jaded, and mistrustful of the marketing department. :rofl:

• At $250 I would like to see both IN connectors as combination XLR/Line/Instrument connections. Necessary? Probably not, but having that versatility would make me feel more confident in spending that much money.

• Ground Lift and Phantom Power are software controlled. I like buttons and switches for this kind of thing. They say it’s implemented in software to help workflow and to keep you from having to make the changes on the device but I’m not buying that. Those are things you would change when doing the physical setup prior to recording anyway. Not something you’ll need to change in the middle of your workflow at the computer. I’m thinking it was a poorly thought out cost saving decision to replace hardware with software. It sounds like a marketing team justification for a completely unnecessary change. It does have a 48V thing on the front. I can’t tell if it’s just an indicator light for the software adjustment of phantom power or if it’s a button that also lets you turn it on or off. In practice, I wouldn’t expect anything I just wrote to matter. I added it because it just seems weird.

Edit: It is a button. So, you don’t have to use the software control to change it.

• External Control (Switch/Pedal 1, Switch/Pedal 2) This is, straight up, a damn cool addition to this DAI.

In closing, I really like this DAI and I really like their software. @Guto I didn’t even know about this company before you started talking about them. All the extra’s they put in this box and how it all integrates with the software is pretty impressive.

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone more knowledgeable than I follows this up by saying how they can do all the same stuff (and do it cheaper) with their preferred software/hardware combination. But, damn… this is a really nice option. Reading through the material makes it all seem so much more intuitive for a neophyte like me. By comparison, Reaper feels impenetrable.

Good luck with this @Guto. I look forward to hearing from you once you have a chance to get it and get it all working together.

3 Likes