What's your favorite thing you've learned recently?

Could be from the B2B course, or just in your own explorations. Any cool new techniques, rhythms, songs that are getting you pumped?

2 Likes

Well nothing yet, but I’m pumped to learn slap bass and whatever method of playing you’re doing at the beginning of some of the B2B lessons that make the bass sound like a acoustic guitar(…At least to me it does :slight_smile:) . It looks like you’re strumming it and it sounds great.

2 Likes

Yeah I do a lot of strumming on bass! It’s basically the same technique as on guitar, just strumming down with my fingernails and back up with the pads. At least that’s one of the many strumming techniques you can use. So much fun.

2 Likes

Massive use of my pinky!
I wasnt using it much because I was lazy about spending the effort.
The finger positionning really opened me doors to songs I couldnt play before.

2 Likes

Yay! Always glad to have another member of the using-the-pinky team. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The past few days, I’ve really been working on developing my RH technique (inspired by watching John Entwistle videos, I guess :slight_smile: )

I’m using index, middle and ring finger to rapidly play three notes in rapid succession as he used to do. Made some progress in playing “My Generation”, and hope to continue in this direction.

All best, Joe

2 Likes

older thread, but newbie player :slight_smile:

I’m only on Module 3, but I have been playing Module 1-3 riffs with various drum tracks on Youtube to test my focus and endurance (and it’s just plain fun). The First 50 Songs book arrived in the mail today (yay) so I starting goofing around with “Low Rider”. Used index finger to fret all the intro notes, though… fretting forearm was achy from Module 3 lessons (pinky stretch!)… got it to sound recognizable. :wink:

3 Likes

This… from the Bass Setup topic.

3 Likes

I learned that the “right” way isn’t always the most advisable way at a given level of skill. I’ve been working on Joy Division’s “Disorder” - both my favorite song and a killer bassline. Overall I can play the song but there’s one tricky bit in the chorus. It’s all eighth notes so not too bad, but it is 168 BPM eighth notes, so relatively quick. The tricky bit is this descending E string Gm 3rd/6th/5th/4th/root phrase. After a lot of work I can nail it at that tempo about half the time with the “proper” pinky/ring/index/index fingering but it is pretty fast for me to be consistently nailing the C and finger roll to G when I do that.

So I tried it just using index and middle and a big shift and it was much easier. Pretty sure Hooky plays it that way too.

Additionally all of the tabs have the octave there on the D string but it is way easier to just drone the G string as that’s where the next bit is anyway. Silly tabs.

Excellent one finger per fret practice riff though - will be doing this one as regular practice for a long time I think.

5 Likes

I finished the slap/pop module recently. I have to correct a bad habbit about my thumb placement, as I’ve always slapped with the thumb down. Obviously the position teached by Josh with the thumb up works way better, not really for the slap itself but it helps having the index in a good position for the pop. So I’m trying to correct this.

4 Likes

I have long forearms, so thumb down is the only way it works for me without putting the bass at a really unnatural angle. It does make popping harder though, yeah.

2 Likes