What's your go-to?

I saw a similar topic elsewhere and wondered what this community would say:

You are playing a bass for the first time. Could be new, could be someone else’s, or maybe you picked it up at a music store.

What riff, bass line, scale, or technique do you use to connect to the soul of that bass?

2 Likes

Personally, I like a little “Wicked” Wilson Pickett.

1 Like

I always do the same thing when I pick up a new bass.

Play each string open one at a time
Play a scale or two inb varying positions
Then just a random medley of basslines I know, or improvising something out of the scales.

1 Like

If it’s at a big box store then it’s just noodling around, maybe a couple of phrases of the chicken. That said when I already decide to buy then I actually would sit down and play a few of my “put it through the pace” songs. These are the songs that has good playing up and down the neck and I play them enough to know the difference between each bass. I can notice the little differences is it too fast, to slow.

When I bought my Cutlass at the Shop, @T_dub was there with me, cash in hand, I asked the shop if I can connect my track and play along. This is important because I can feel how it sits naturally in the mix. In my case, the Cutlass was just a phenomenal bass and the decision was made very quickly.

I did the same thing with buying the amp, at the same shop, I actually brought my bass to test the amp.

5 Likes

7 Nation Army! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I get shop-freeze and forget anything I can play so just noodle around. I try to explore the neck and see how it feels. I’ve only bought 2 bass and didn’t know how to play for my first. With my second, the shop was getting ready to move so only had a crappy little amp. I loved the feel of it and still managed to enjoy the sound. I think I played it for maybe 30 mins and just loved it more each minute so it came home with me.

2 Likes

The Deee Lite Groove is in the Heart groove. It makes look like I can actually play :rofl:

A colleague has just bought a £2,000 Rickenbacker. He brought it to the office and I tried to play Groove on it, and couldn’t. The bass felt horrible. I had another go on it last week - he had had it properly set up - but it still felt cumbersome under the fingers and I still didn’t like it. The upshot is that a) I would be unlikely to buy a Rickenbacker and b) Groove proved itself to be a pretty good test riff! This colleague also has a G&L L-2000, now that’s lovely and Groove grooves on that bass!

Oh, I do want to learn the Star Wars Imperial March melody at some point. I think that would be fun in a shop :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Gandalf (:face_with_hand_over_mouth:) once said: You do not find the Bass: The Bass finds you. :pray:t2::man_in_lotus_position:t2::sunflower::wink:
It’s like love from the first view: You don’t need a specific Bass Line or a ritual for playing the One Bass; the Bass itself is the gift enjoying it to be played. If you like it, go for it. :seedling::milky_way::sunflower:

Wish you all the Bass :hugs:
DLiqacy

2 Likes

I start with what I think is some scale or summat that’s stuck in my head. It’s… well, picture this as tab: E:1,4; A:1,2,3; D:1,3;G:1,3. Then I play that up and down the fretboard in various positions. Then the major scale in various positions. Then I just riff for a bit, throwing in various snippets from songs I’m working on. If I’m feeling bold, I’ll toss in some root/octave slap/pops.

The latter stuff changes, but that thing I think is a scale and the major scale never changes.

1 Like