When Playing With A Band DOES NOT work out…

He looks like EVERYONE’S brother in law back in the 80’s.

6 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

I don’t really have anything to add here, except I read the title as “When playing with a band, don’t work out.”
And was wondering if this is kinda a story about how too much muscle mass might get in the way of playing bass :smiley:

5 Likes

2 Likes

If I was presented with a message like that, @Lanny, I would RUN (not walk) away as fast as I possibly could from that group and wouldn’t look back . . . :roll_eyes:

Then I’d avoid that “church” for the rest of my life . . . :wink:

We have enough problems in our lives, and we certainly don’t need any of this type.

Cheers
Joe

8 Likes

Thanks @Jazzbass19 - Joe…. (And every one else who has replied…). Really no big deal with me other than I do know to ask more questions before deciding to play with or in another band….

I did ask the band leader at our first meeting how he came about picking each one of us and that’s when I found out that the three of them played together in their church worship group. I asked him why he didn’t get a member of their church group (they apparently have three full groups in their church) to play bass and his answer was that he couldn’t find anyone willing to do it.

What I did find out was that all were paid musicians…. Many mega churches down here in the deep south pay their musicians to play in their groups. With that comes a responsibility on the musicians part to “Act accordingly” when playing outside the walls of those church structures.

Me,…… I’m not a church goer - doesn’t mean that I’m not a believer or am anti religious - just means that I prefer “independence over dependance” with outer human/worldly interactions,… and “dependance over independence” with my inner spiritual/personal interactions…

I harbor no hard feelings at all - just another life lesson learned. I know that I’m not the only one who has had a negative situation playing with or in a band and thought it would be good to be able to share some of these situations for the benefit of others.

I still enjoy playing open mic nights at a few establishments and do have contact with a couple other groups who call when they need a fill in bass player, but for me, being able to create and share music tracks and create original music is what playing bass is all about for me.

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

10 Likes

That’s a good way to put it.

It took me a long time to realize that I had no problems with religion but sometimes had big problems with religious organizations.

7 Likes

Same goes for me, Lanny @Lanny . . . :slight_smile:

I do consider myself spiritual, and try to live with a moral compass . . . but I’m very skeptical of anyone or any organization who knows what kind of music is best for me :wink:

I just don’t belong to any churches . . . I’ve seen way too many of them go under in my lifetime and I have to wonder why that is? :thinking:

Cheers
Joe

7 Likes

@John_E I agree. Religion per se isn’t a problem. It’s fundamentalism that’s the problem.
Most big religions have a central tenet of being kind to others.
That’s a good starting point for most people. I don’t need to sit in an uncomfortable wooden pew to know this truth.
Anyway for some light relief here’s the wonderful Frank Zappa’s take on big church. Love to you all
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3renLopLxqw

3 Likes

Did they even ask about your religious views when you got together, or just assumed?

Mostly this. Not everything has to be a fight, especially if a band is not assumedly political/religious/whatever. I have friends with polar opposite religion and political views. Guess what… we can still be friends and have civilized debates about those issues without harming anyone. The same goes for you guys, I’m sure we don’t share the same opinions and views but here we are. It all boils down to respect.

My issues were always with preaching religious people. It’s that good old adage: Religion is like a penis. It’s ok to have one. But don’t push it on anyone without consent.

8 Likes

IMHO, almost nothing has to be a fight. It’s only when you get the orthodoxies from both sides slugging it out that’s when problems start. Most of us +/- 2SDevs get caught in the crossfire.

4 Likes

Too many people are looking for a fight these days.

5 Likes

You can say that again and again and again. That and so many love to lie a lot. Not sure why.

3 Likes

Religion started to explain the unexplainable and to govern.
As things get explained and governments govern (to what extent without religion is still in a lot of flux) religion should become a source of community.

I never could understand why anyone needs more than “be kind to each other”.
Seems like its all it takes.

net/net - people ruin everything

4 Likes

The title of this thread confused me a little bit (English is not my first language), I thought it would be about not doing bench presses on stage or something…

Anyways, carry on.

6 Likes

Don’t feel bad. English is my first (and only) language and I thought the same thing. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Best comment of the day :rofl:

4 Likes

Both want you to spend money to advance its needs?

3 Likes

OK - so even though “Proper English” is not my “Strong Suite”…. I did decide to change the title of this thread…. Hey, I’m just an old (very old) Southern boy from Georgia who speaks “Southern Slang”,… I do understand the confusion…. Sorry…

Also, I NEVER wanted this thread to turn into a “Religious” thing…. Just wanted it to to be a place where people could vent some of their “negative” experiences when working with bands.

Anyway, it’s still all good, and the cool thing about this forum is that none of us “fight” like they do on many other forums - no matter what we believe…. Kinda why I’ve always LIKED this place….

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

8 Likes

I understood you. But then I lived in South Carolina, Arkansas, and Texas.

To me religion and music are completely separate. I mean, Irving Berlin wrote White Christmas, and he’s Jewish.

Think this was a band problem, or control freak issue, or a little of both

4 Likes