When To Change Your Strings

My bass doesn’t sound right. The E-string is really wobbly:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mynTkF8vUaxyWZSWpBNRanj-iJxloC09/view?usp=sharing

You can also see it here as compared to the a-string below (which, to my mind also doesn’t sound quite right, but looks better):

Is this a sign that I should change strings or might there be another problem?
Thanks for any advice!

Hm, how old are your strings? Do you know? Are these rounds or flats?

In the sound file, did you dampen the strings at some point after you plucked them, i.e., did you put your finger or your palm on the strings to stop the sound? If not, then it seems indeed that they have not much sustain left, which is often an indication that the strings are “dead” or “dying”.

I can’t read so much from the waveforms, other than some of it is distorted because your input level might be too high (but that has nothing to do with the strings). If we could see the time scale (x-axis), that would also give an indication as to how fast the sounds is ringing down/decaying.

So, if in doubt, I would try new strings - it is a good experience to change strings in any case, and new strings sound (and feel!) really good (to me at least) and that alone can be very motivating!

If you go for Ernie Ball Slinkys, then it won’t even cost you an arm and a leg :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Thank you!

I’ve never changed them since I bought the bass in May. Round.

I think I might have done at some point but I let the first pluck(s) ring as much as I could bear it.

I think this weird distortion is what I mean by “wobbly”. This “doiiinngg”-sound i hear all the time and that seems to be getting worse. What is the input level? (Do I need to know? :laughing:) I just recorded this on my macbook.

(I’m in a grumpy mood now because I was planning to record my first cover and share it with you guys and then realized that it sounds pretty sh*t. Maybe I practiced too much…)

2 Likes

First:

Been there, done that - and I am confident that goes for ALL of us… There are good days, and not so good days (and days where you want to sell all your gear). Putting the bass down for a day or two might actually be a good solution to this. I usually fall in love all over after a little break.

Now, for the strings: yes, I would probably go ahead and change them at this time!

For the recording: I am guessing a bit here, since I don’t know your exact setup, but the input level is regulated at your audio interface and/or in your DAW. If/when an LED at the interface is often going “red” or the level meter (typically an indicator going from green to yellow to red) is often going to red in your DAW, then your input level is too high. Either turn it down on your audio interface or in your DAW.

If you then feel you can’t hear yourself properly anymore, you might have to adjust the output level at your audio interface, or perhaps you need to adjust the different levels of your bass and the background track in your DAW (this is also called “mixing”).

Good luck! (Feel free to share screenshots of your DAW or a photo of your audio interface, if in doubt!)

3 Likes

So true, like in any relationship where you spend a lot of time together (lockdown), things can go really nicely and you’re having a great time (I played Blitzkrieg Bop at 80% tempo through today, yeah!) and then the next minute it’s like what the hell are you doing? leave me alone. :sweat_smile:

I actually don’t have any special devices for recording (yet). Just used the mic on my macbook.

So I guess I’ll dive into the art of changing strings or will contact the guitar shop and have them do it. Will see. Thanks so much for your advice!

2 Likes

Bass strings can last for years/decades. You may have gotten a bad one, did you set up your bass or have one done on it? Joe’s suggestion is good in this case to maybe get an experienced person at a local music shop to look at it.

3 Likes

Ah, yes, this is OK for recording little practice bits, but for covers, you are unlikely to get a result that you are happy with. But, since you have a Mac, you also have GarageBand, so you already own a DAW. Now, all you need is to invest in an audio interface at some point, and that should not cost you more than, say, 75-100 Euros.

Yes, true, they are not likely to suddenly disintegrate like an old sweater. And they should certainly last you a year or more at the level at which most of us are playing them.

Some people do indeed want that somewhat dull, almost dead sound, and those people tend to keep their strings for years. Personally, I enjoy fresh, bright strings (though still with enough warmth, which is why I prefer nickel roundwounds). Also, I am still experimenting with different types and brands, and that makes me change strings probably a bit more frequently than needed.

I was actually suggesting you do it yourself, @Regina, but if it is the first time on this bass, it is perfectly legit to ask the guitar shop to set it up and put new strings on it. Eventually, however, I recommend you do it yourself - while a bit “scary” at first, it is actually quite satisfying!
By the way, my first name is not “Joe”, @Sully, but I can certainly see why one would come to that conclusion :grin::wink:

3 Likes

I did my own setup only a few weeks ago and was planning to take it to the shop maybe in spring to have it done again professionally. I read somewhere that it’s good to do it depending on the seasons.

Thanks for the encouragement to change the strings myself, Jörg @joergkutter. Doesn’t look too hard. And if you say I should get those Ernie Balls, then I probably will :wink:

3 Likes

Same here, Jörg @joergkutter . . . :+1:

I’ve been debating over changing strings myself, because I’m coming up to two years with them now. They still sound good, and my bass is in tune (checked with a headstock and an in-line tuner).

I wipe them down after I practice and clean them with a string cleaner from time to time. Maybe that has something to do with it? :thinking:

Anyway “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” as they say. . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

2 Likes

Does it also sound like that to your ears in the room outside of listening to the recording?

Do you have your fretting fingers resting on the A-D-G strings to mute them while you are playing the E string?

If you pluck the E string standing in different places in the room does it always sound the same or does it sound different some places?

3 Likes

You’re welcome! I had no prior experience with string instruments before and therefore found it a bit “scary” the first time, but it is all pretty straightforward :smile:

Those are, in my opinion, the best value for money, and you can get them almost everywhere. They are fine middle-of-the-road strings for all kinds of music. If you want, I (and many others) can certainly give you more recommendations, but you are likely best off with a set of EB’s for now :wink:

Yes, especially changes in humidity (dry heated rooms in the winter, more humid rooms in the summer) will affect the woods and the neck.

Yes, but I find it interesting to test new strings (manufacturers, gauges, etc) every now and then. Granted, this can become pricey… :smile:

2 Likes

Yes, that’s how I first noticed, also via headphones. Recording myself made it even more obvious and that wave gave a good image to what I’m hearing.

Yes, of course.

I don’t know. That’s really hard to tell and my ears are not that well trained :wink:

Haha, no thanks for now, I’m notoriously undecided and am really so grateful for someone to just tell me what to buy. :smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for humoring my questions. The reason I asked about moving around the room is that rooms will have places in them that are dead or live when it comes to a few notes. Since you are recording with a microphone, it will also pick up any room problems. This idea doesn’t really fit to the wobbly character though. It should be dead or not.

The reason I asked about the other strings is that when two notes play slightly out of tune with each other, they create a beat (wobbly) pattern. This sounds more like that, but I can’t figure out how it’s being created.

I’m out of ideas. Monitoring the thread to see how this turns out!

3 Likes

The solution for that (it happens to all of us) is to park your bass, walk away, go have a few drinks or coffee or whatever your pleasure, make brownies, ride your bicycle or motorcycle, go to a movie, whatever… forget about bass and music for awhile. Get a nights rest and miraculously the next day you will play it perfectly (plus you have a platter of brownies to munch on).

8 Likes

But instead I’m hanging around on this forum, thinking even more about it, putting together a shopping list… ! :laughing:

5 Likes

Nothing wrong with putting together a shopping list @Regina,everyone on here get “GAS” eventually, it’s just part of it, i personally don’t use any pedals, just straight bass into DAI into Mac “Garageband” It is a very easy DAW to record to.
Everyone has provided good advice on sorting your issues out.

Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Yes! That GAS… I confess, I’ve just placed an order for strings, a new strap and an audio interface. :grin:

4 Likes

AS Joerg said, EB’s are good middle of the range strings, i run them on most of my basses.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

So, I changed my strings! :partying_face: A very satisfying activity indeed and I think it solved the problem. The old ones just felt a bit soft. Like, even when the bass was tuned right, the e-string especially didn’t feel particularly tightened. Anyway, now I gotta get used to the new feel of these strings and the different kind of noises they make. I really like that. And maybe it’s just in my head or it’s real, but I do think my bass generally sounds much better now.
Oh, and I got one of those DAIs, so brace yourselves for some practice fragments coming from me very soon. :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

Glad to hear you took the leap and it worked out for you!

Very new (round wound) strings are a bit squeaky, but that starts to wear off and they become a bit more mellow and warm. I didn’t know that either in the start, but new strings have to be “broken in” before they really sound like they should. So, just go ahead and actually really pull at them a bit a few times (upwards, away from the bass’ body) and then re-tune. That also helps them to settle at the various places where they connect to the bass. Of course, always mit Gefühl :grin:

6 Likes