When To Change Your Strings

I love the sound of new strings, but also, I am very lazy. So it took me another 6 months to change again. This time, I changed to cheaper strings than the previous ones. Last time, I went to Ernie Ball Cobalt Strings, this time Fender Super 7250’s. Though it is not out of the possible that those are cheaper, but still awesomer. Not sure if this Cobalt stuff is more like a marketing scam.

I got the same impression as last time: The new strings sound so much more awesome than the old ones. So I do think most of it is just that: newer strings. The next set I already have on my desk are Ernie Ball Regular Slinkies. But I guess it will be another 6 months, because I am lazy … :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

It’s been just about 5 months since I exchanged my P-clone’s stock rounds for DHS Precision Flats. They are mellow and feel quite “noodly” to me. So mellow, in fact, that I almost always play with the tone all the way up. However, I love them, I set the action really low and have been able to engage in some SH-like clank. I’ve also played around with some Black Sabbath riffs and by picking over the fretboard and with a bit of OD and gain they sound really good. I’m definitely looking to put some more flats on this bass when the time comes, though I’ll likely go with Rotosounds next time.

That said, when my Peavey BXP* arrives on Wednesday, I look forward to replacing its stock strings with a set of Rotosound RL-66 stainless steel roundwounds that I have waiting for the right bass.

*Peavey’s take on the jazz bass

2 Likes

Just realised that I have never changed a string on any of my basses. I carry spares for when one inevitably snaps, but until that happens, I just plod on.

2 Likes

I change mine every 2-3 months depending on how often I play and record.

1 Like

I have never kept the same set of strings on a bass long enough to know when it’s time to change them. I have a shelf in my office closet that’s covered with packages of slightly used strings.

3 Likes

I’m using Elixir strings. Very nice sounds out of the stainless steels (well, um, when my playing permits). They are ‘nanoweb’ coated (don’t ask). Expensive? - yes. But, no need to change them for at least 6 months, so: kinda cheap in the long run.

1 Like

When I was building the Poison Apple J-Bass, I took it to Terry at the Guitar Junkyard and he put the strings on, noting that the DR Lo Rider Nickel I had bought for it were designed more for a “rock” sound because of the nickel itself, and that the Lo Riders were designed more for slapping. He was actually the ones who recommended the Ernie Ball Super Slinky’s that I put on the Turquoise Waters P-Bass. When I bought the Poison Apple kit, it came with generic strings and I knew I’d never use them, so I went on a hunt for better ones and got the feel that the Lo Riders would be best for the J-Bass. Now, I’m not sure when to change the strings on any of the 4 because I don’t play them often enough, even for the lessons, which I restarted last night (I used the Poison Apple).

1 Like

If they feel good and sound good, they’re the right strings.

3 Likes

In the p bass with flats and tort club, changing strings will automatically get you expelled and banned for life. Just saying… :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

If you remove the string then you remove the dirt so you end up causing a whole lotta hurt? Don’t remove the gunk or you’ll lose the funk?

5 Likes

In all honesty I have no clue when to change strings.
Having quite a few basses and being a hobbyist, none are played a crazy amount like a pro.
So ‘normal’ time scales are meaningless.
Plus the string mfg guidance is self-serving.

I have the same deal with reeds for sax, they generally get replaced when I chip them on a tooth long before the sound gives out, however, I have had some just go ‘limp’ and I can feel and hear the difference.

Maybe with strings I just haven’t heard a difference yet that matters, and until it does, I see no reason to change them.

5 Likes

With you on that, but feel that a change might be required for me. I’ve had the same strings on my bass since I bought it in 1995, although I only started playing a year ago.

4 Likes

Pshaw! Them’s simply old stock.

3 Likes

Thank you so much @Gio for creating this thread and to everyone else for sharing your experiences.

The live and learn part—I’m standing right at that door. Started playing on June 3, 2021 with my first bass, a peppy Fender Squire Affinity MIM P Bass. Its totally low end but its mine and I love it. It came with worn looking rounds and I adore the tone because its what I am used to. But I also love funk, R&B, jazz, prog, and want to experience flats just in case I like that better :crazy_face:

Someone please tell me to just do it, change the strings, and let go of any attachment I might have to the bass’ current tone. :guitar:

1 Like

What have you got to lose?
You can always refit the old strings if you don’t prefer the new sound. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Very good point :+1:
Just do it Sue :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Just do it - change the strings. You won’t know if you like it unless you try it.
(and, as mentioned, you can always go back)

2 Likes

Do it. I changed to Fender flats and “that” was my sound.

2 Likes

Wut? They’re not once and done? Ok, that is good to know that I can put them back. HUGE SIGH

1 Like

Thank you @Mac

1 Like