When Turning Music Pages Is Not An Option!

Yes, I think this is a well-respected tradition in music to re-write scores in short-hand. By doing this, you process the scores and already learn stuff, and in essence it is just the next logical step before you completely absorb it and know it by heart.

That said, it is more straight forward for chord progressions than for melodic lines.

6 Likes

Agree @joergkutter… Most of the music I like to play have melodic bass lines and I (like @PamPurrs) do not like tabs. I personally enjoy reading music scores to learn and follow all of the notes and progressions, and typically purchase all of my music to also include guitar notation and chord progressions since I like to play my other instruments at times to the same song.

Because I’m the kind that likes to see the whole picture (especially when I’m learning a new song), having the entire score in front of me works best (for me). Once I have the song engraved in memory, then no music sheets are needed.

I do remember many years ago having several “cheat sheets” handy that I could pull out of my gig bag and tape to an inconspicuous spot on my acoustic or electric guitars when playing Small venue gigs and in many of the church bands I would play in… Years ago… Many years ago…

8 Likes

I totally agree with your “standard” m.o., @Lanny. But, as you also said, there are situations where cheat sheets are life-savers or at least safety nets to have with you, often in gigging situations. I can only assume that @Vik had cheat sheets when he needed to learn a whole bunch of songs in a short while. When I started with the band I play now, I had to catch up on their song catalog and chord symbols, section letters, and the odd repeat sign worked wonders for me in order to remember how song A was different from song B.

Also, while I love music scores, I have read the treble clef all of my musical life, and am now still struggling with the bass clef. So, I am very glad there are tabs :smile: Of course, you could say, without tabs I would learn the bass clef faster, and I’d say you were right. But, I mean, who came up with this system that looks EXACTLY like the other, just with everything shifted with one ledger??? That is just mean!!

8 Likes

Not to get off on another tangent here, but weaning off the tablature would be like taking the training wheels off a bicycle. It forces you to learn to ride the bicycle without them.

7 Likes

seems to be kinda similar to what I do , but I think my notes are not really readable except by myself

6 Likes

And that is all that matters for this purpose :smile:

6 Likes

Hi @Lanny,
It’s cool when you have the room to install a clothes line to hang all the pages on.:joy::joy::joy::joy::facepunch:t2::facepunch:t2:Cheers

3 Likes

@TNKA36 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: - What ever works Brian!! :joy: :laughing:

Here’s a bit of what I’m working on today. Slides…

2 Likes

Nice @Lanny,
What’s the squiggle line and are they slides from a-b
D-e and back down from b -a ?
Cheers

3 Likes

@TNKA36 - Kind of a mix of things…

image - Vibrato
Vibrate the string by rapidly bending and releasing the note. In this case, kinda like a really quick hammer on with a bit of a bend since the timing in this song is fairly fast.

image - A-Bb Hammer On

Pluck the first note and then hammer on the second the second note without plucking the second note.

image - image - A-B / B-A Legato Slides

Pluck the first note then slide to the second note without plucking the second note.

Hope I didn’t confuse anything… Every time I try to learn a new song I always try to throw something different into it because I don’t like just “practicing”… So, I try and pick songs to learn that I can use to get “practice” in on techniques without getting bored…

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

6 Likes

@Lanny I recall you once saying that would like to someday get a fretless. I’m here to tell you that playing vibrato on the fretless is loads of fun and sounds great!

4 Likes

@PamPurrs… YES!! :smiley: :+1: :+1:

I’m looking, but I am also looking at a Double Bass. Right now Connie and I are in the middle of another outdoor construction project here at the compound, so any new bass purchases will probably have to wait until this fall…

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

4 Likes

@PamPurrs @Lanny
My acoustic bass is fretless and has a warm tone.
Cheers

5 Likes

I seem to remember from an Adam Neely video that one can distinguish between two types of vibratos (or tremolos) on the bass (or stringed instruments in general): one bending and releasing the fretted string like you describe, and the other where your fretting finger is “wiggling” rapidly back and forth, in the direction of the neck. I can’t recall right now which one is a vibrato and which one is a tremolo and whether they have different symbols in sheet music…

Need to find that Neely video again…

3 Likes

@joergkutter BB King being the master :slight_smile:

1 Like

Joerg - If my memory serves me right, I think that notation would be like slashes through the stem of a note…

Whereas vibrato would be the squiggly (vibration) line above the note and I do know that the two terms get used (and confused) quite a bit.

Tremolo varies or modulates note amplitude whereas vibrato varies or modulates note pitch - kinda like a whammy bar on an electric guitar.

3 Likes

Ah yes, perfect explanation!! Thanks, @Lanny!!

3 Likes

It sucks big time, but it’s all I have. Plus I need to blow it up to be able to read it.

Hey, at last I hav an IPad, andont have to try and do it on my IPhone. There is a bitter side to anything

2 Likes

I scan sheet music for electronic use for this very reason so I can have it all in one place. Have rigged a foot pedal (initially for my keyboard) to change the page for me when needed by tapping my foot on it.

3 Likes

Nice @Lanny! A more portable version that a lot of musicians use, is one of these stands:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M48--manhasset-symphony-stand-single

Plus these extenders:

Lets you see 4-5 pages at a time, which is enough for most things you’d read on a gig (since those don’t have tab, they take up less pages for the same music).

4 Likes