When Turning Music Pages Is Not An Option!

I don’t know about anyone else, but when I’m trying to learn a new song, turning pages in a music book SUCKS!! I’ve tried laying them down on my bench, but even that is a pain in the NECK (Literally) because I’m always looking down at the music sheets and after awhile my neck is just down right friggin’ sore!

So, while cleaning up my workshop after finishing a project for Connie, I realized I had a few pieces of scrap left over and came up with a simple solution that allows me to hang 8 sheets of music at eye level so that all I have to do is work my way through each sheet while Thumpin’ to a groove!!

It all pulls apart easily and just slides under my workbench when I don’t need it…

1 - 2” x 2” x 36” (base”
2 - 1/2” x 26” dowel rods
1 - 3/16” x 33-1/2” dowel rod

Took all of about 15 minutes to make, and it works better than any damn music stand that I’ve ever used before!:smile:

Keep on Thumpin’!!
Lanny

16 Likes

Haha, gorgeous, @Lanny! So beautifully old-school :grin:

I hear the kids use iPads and apps like Onsong for these purposes…

5 Likes

Hi @Lanny,
Great effort to pin all those pages up.
If you want any transcribed stuff, I have plenty, and most are on 1 page😎
Let me know what you’re into and I will see if I have at least something that will make it easier for you.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Hahaha @joergkutter…!! Even though I have an iPad, I have no idea how anyone can follow sheet music on one… Yup, I guess I’m just “Old School”… I suppose where I’m coming from is that when it comes to making music,… using a bit of think on your own “Human Ingenuity” versus modern “Let someone else do the thinking for you”… like using the new modern things, just might be something we all need to get back to.

Once we all loose the basics of thinking and acting on how we can work through situations on our own, we then become robots to whomever invents an “easier” way… Kinda why I love playing bass - we’ve all kinda been on our own in the background…

Don’t get me wrong,… I’m all for progress and all, just only as much as it DOES NOT take away from the knowledge basics of how anything became established… Guess that’s why I (and @PamPurrs) enjoy musical notation over tabs… And why @Korrigan is so damn good at building those custom Cigar Box Bass’s!

Damn!! Time to hop off the soapbox!!

Keep on Thumpin!
Lanny

9 Likes

that’s excellent @Lanny, I love it ! either the idea and the fact it’s a home-made unique thing
:sunglasses:

6 Likes

Thanks @TNKA36.

Sounds interesting, but on one page?? Damn man, I’m blind in one eye and can hardly see outta the other!!:rofl::joy: How big is that one page??:grinning:. I hope you can understand that I’m just “Yankin’ yer chain” here (just an old ‘Yank’ term​:joy:)…

I Am curious though… How does that work?? Seven or eight pages of music on one page???

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

4 Likes

Figured you would @terb… being that you are an adamant “do it yourself” kinda guy and all…

Be safe my friend!!
Lanny

6 Likes

So true, @Lanny! Luckily, every now and then, the kids show us that they know all about that, too, and mix in the new stuff and blow our minds with something really innovative :smile:

4 Likes

Hi @Lanny a couple of one pages for you.

4 Likes

Really cool @TNKA36 and a great idea! Since I also play acoustic and electric guitar, I typically buy all my sheet music with both treble and bass lines so that I can play either instrument for recording.

I can certainly see a great benefit in having all of the bass lines on one sheet though👍… There have been numerous songs that I have had to use the bass clef on a piano score and with the help of my transcription application manually figure out the actual bass line of a song… Kinda time consuming, but also kinda educational at the same time. One thing’s for certain though, I really don’t trust downloading any free tabbed music…

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

3 Likes

I agree,
I don’t trust a lot of tab stuff,
Some I have seen are very improvised.

1 Like

I agree, (not that I would play tab anyway) most of it is rubbish.

Nothing can replace the original musical notation. I don’t mind spending the money on music books like this Eagles one I just got.

3 Likes

So mich agree @PamPurrs Pam!! I always purchase original music scores when ever possible. If I can’t, then I will always write my own - kind of a long process since I’m not great at it, but at least I’ll learn something by doing it myself…

6 Likes

Nice get @PamPurrs
Is it new or second hand ?

1 Like

Hi @PamPurrs
I just bought it as well.
Cheers

1 Like

New, I ordered it from Guitar Center

3 Likes

@PamPurrs - I’ve been ordering many of my music books online from Amazon… I also have a subscription to Virtual Sheet Music - https://www.virtualsheetmusic.com/

They don’t have every song for bass, but there have been many times where I’ve had to purchase piano music and then work with the song and the piano bass clef in order to write and play my own bass line to a song.

Oh, I do have the complete Eagles (Volume 1 & 2) Guitar sheet music. Have had it for years and still pull it out when I’m looking to do a little six string meditation…:slightly_smiling_face:

Keep on Thumpin’!!
Lanny

5 Likes

Thanks for that link @Lanny, I’ll check it out.

Here’s another one for you. All FREE!
http://bassinstructor.ca/basstranscriptions/

5 Likes

When trying to learn my first whole song to play completely through, I came up with a unique one-pager notation. Curious if anyone else does anything like this. Basically, some short-hand.
In my case, the song was the theme to Pink Panther, Henry Mancini version. I found a full set of bass sheet music and bass tab on-line and noticed a pattern:

• one section of walking into a note, then playing two more nearby notes. An easy pattern. This mostly repeats at the end.
  • two middle sections with mostly quarter notes, walking around and too complex for me to really figure out. Everything here entails chord progressions that last two bars each.
    So I just have a sheet that lists all the whole song in short hand.
    I showed it to my instructor - who I just started with - and he’s all for doing short hand and whatever works for each person, but he can’t make any sense of it. :slight_smile:
6 Likes

I’ve been to a few symphonies in my lifetime and have always been amazed at how those performers could quickly turn the page without missing a note. That takes lots of practice.

6 Likes