Where is this note on the neck

Well I meant if it was common in the Jazz World…

I know many hard rock and metal bands use drop D or D tuning…

3 Likes

You don’t need to use Drop D for this - it’s an octave higher than that.

1 Like

I am convinced that I don’t need it for the melody… Now I am asking for comping (walking bass) on the lowest end possible…

2 Likes

Ahh. Not being one, I’m guessing most Jazz folks would just use a 5-string here.

1 Like

Interesting opinion on the matter is, my instructor was explaining me thag the low B string is simply too slow to play pizzicato. Indeed all his 5er up rights have C string instead…

(for anyone who is curios why I don’t ask him these things and write it to the forum instead, is because he is usually incredibly slow to answer questions on the fly and my next lesson is two weeks later… :rofl::rofl::rofl:. And also I miss talking to you guys!)

3 Likes

It’s good to see you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well technically, lowest you can go is a 10 or 12 string bass, which you can tune the bottom string to C#. They make 7 strings which you see in death metal, but those are tuned to F# to C or B to F. I think Jazz players would do the latter.

But to me that’s getting exotic. You can play crunchy metal just fine on a fiver.

I would expect not, since that bass part is melodic and the low end of a 5 string is way too low for that… and it’s a double bass part which has 4 strings. I’ve seen people play it in different locations on the bass, some at the 10th fret of the E string, but here’s how Paul Chambers played it:

1 Like

Yeah, that particular bassline has no note lower in pitch than D2 (the open D string/10th fret on the E string.) I thought he was asking about improvising a walking bassline over it that goes down to D1.

Wow! This website is amazing… Thanks

Yes that’s exactly what I was thinking. But @sshoihet is actually quite right about in his observation, most jazz baselines are quite melodic in nature…

1 Like

Here is a link link on the same topic you may be interested in. :+1:

1 Like

I’m very bad in music theory but not in alternative tunings. tuning down is always an option, I say.
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

KISS, Nirvana, Stevie Ray Vaughn just some of the bands off the top of my head that tuned down

1 Like

Pink Floyd
Muse
half of modern metal :rofl:

maybe more actually

1 Like

You’ll have to forgive me but this is seriously tripping me out. Is that not an Eb???

1 Like

No, that’s a D. Sharps or flats would be in the key signature.

The lines in the bass clef are G, B, D, F, A. The “spaces” are A, C, E, G. If there are any sharps or flats in the key, they are noted in the key signature between the clef and the time signature.

That note is one space below the first ledger line below the staff, which is E, so that is D.

The lines on the staff are not evenly spaced by half-step or whole-step; they are by notes. So, there is a whole step between the D line and the E space mid-staff, but then only a half-step between the E space and F line. It’s a little confusing at first.

That’s hilarious because just before asking I was confirming to myself that the F# would not be placed between the F and G but instead represented by ‘#/b’ haha
Sometimes I wonder there’s even a brain in here :upside_down_face::ear:t4::eyes:

1 Like

Neil young, Hendrix, tool, plus like every artist circa 1984-2007

“ plus like every artist circa 1984-2007”

Ebm7: I would just like to state that I pulled the closing remark like straight outta mon derrière…

1 Like

First 12 Frets.pdf (116.9 KB)
I just made this for myself. Maybe this helps :slight_smile:

3 Likes