Which bass to get, Jazz or Precision

Josh, I purchased your Bass to Badass DVD series and have learned so much stuff ! I’m thinking about going through it again because I know I’ve probably forgotten more than I’ve learned! What are your thoughts with doing that?
Thanks for doing these lessons,
Phil

7 Likes

Welcome aboard @phil5489, great that you have finished the course, i would say everyone who has completed the course goes back through it or at least some modules etc.
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Really depends on your plans for playing and genres you are interested in.

5 Likes

Especially since a perfectly valid answer is “neither” :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Yes. But nothing wrong with either. I’d even say if your plans are becoming a session musician you probably WANT a precision…but if you have other plans there are loads of other bass options/brands that might be better for you.

5 Likes

Many of us have gone through the course a second or even third time… at least parts of it, just for refresher. Nothing wrong with that at all.
Jazz or precision? I’d say, if you have to ask that question, then you should get a PJ.

4 Likes

I pretty much started on a Jazz bass, and have been loving it all along. Then I get a tax refund, and decide to spend part of it on 5 string Ibanez. The neck design on Ibanez is so much easier to play - I can reach better on a 5 string than than 4 string Jazz.

So if you are going for a vintage look or sound, by all means Fender is a good choice. My Jazz has a special plass in my heart, but also look at a Jaguar, which is a PJ configuration and gives you that P bass punch with a Jazz bridge pickup.

If you are open to other ideas, Ibanez or Yamaha are good choices. My Ibby is so much easier to play than my Jazz.

10 Likes

It’s hard for me to say. I’m not a Fender fan really at all. That doesn’t mean anything outside of personal preference. What I do recommend is trying different brands, different basses out, and finding out for yourself which one you like, suits you, feels good, and not really worry about “what brand” it is. If YOU like how it sounds and YOU like how it plays, that is all that matters.

6 Likes

Hi @phil5489,
I have both , it depends on what you like, the J’s are a lot narrower in the neck, and my J is a lot heavier than my P
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

The endless topic: Jazz vs Precision . . :thinking:

We could debate this until the Sahara freezes over . . . :slight_smile:

Welcome to the Forums, @phil5489 . . . It’s good you have the DVD set because you can always access it w/o an Internet connection.

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

I’m leaning towards:

except in a 4.

12 Likes

Welcome to the forums @phil5489.
I love my P bass but to be on the safe side in your situation I’d just get both and then a few others :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

This is the way.

8 Likes

Ya, I guess that’s what I have to decide. I don’t have the spider fingers like Josh has, so I had to learn how to micro shift a lot on the J-Bass I have now! I’ve played some P-basses and found the neck to be a struggle. The person I was with said I would adjust to it as I played it!
I really love the tone of the P-bass, but liked how much easier it was to play the J-bass!
I’m going to go through the course again and maybe decide after that!
Thanks for your input!!!

6 Likes

Thanks for your input! Still learning and trying to decide! I don’t have the spider fingers like Josh, so I have to do some micro-shifting quite often!

5 Likes

Keep in mind, sound is very adjustable these days. Between Plugins, pedals, amps etc…no tone is too far away. If you like the FEEL of the J, I’d say stick with it. There are other ways to get tone, but an uncomfortable bass is an uncomfortable bass. Check out Ibanez, Schecter or LTD/ESP too. Might be surprised how good they sound and how comfy they are to play.

5 Likes

Jazzbass19, ya that’s what I’m hearing! Many people have talked about this! I love the tone out of the P-bass, but I have to do a lot of micro-shifting now with a J-bass! But I can get around on it okay!
I played some P-basses and was having trouble getting used to the size of the neck. The people I talk to say I’ld get used to it the more I played it! So we’ll see! Thanks for your input!

5 Likes

My fingers are kinda stumpy so I hear you.

Fender does the vintage look and sound well. No one does vintage better.

But other brands are more playable and still sound great. So what are the three things you want in a bass?

4 Likes

Absolutely true . . . very well spoken, @kerushlow! . . . :wink:

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

If you can go and try a few brands in a music store, take your time and I’m sure your new bass will pick you

5 Likes