Which cheapo basses should I review?

Just for laughs, you might want to take a look at the Hard Luck Kings “bombshell” bass.

2 Likes

Don’t think those fit in the under-$100 price range, maybe in the “step-up” category depending on where you started. I’ve got the JS2 Spectra if you’ve got any questions on that one let me know.

1 Like

Why not try a cheap solid body u-bass?

1 Like

I though the same thing Howard, a decent used bass is probably better in the long run, than spending $100 on a heavy and likely hard to play piece of junk. An older Yamaha RBX170, Ibanez or Squier Affinity would be better value in the long run and if you sell it to trade up less likely to lose value.
My first bass was a new one of these cheapie’s from China, bought from a store that mainly sells appliances, TVs and computers, along with some cheap musical instruments. No set up, no idea what I was doing. The sales man asked if I needed picks, as I was buying a guitar.

2 Likes

Used musical instruments (and gear in general) is nearly always a better idea than new, provided you get an honest seller. I’ve never had an issue with that.

Look at it this way. Everything else being equal, it’s used gear the moment you open the box. Either way you end up with used gear, you just get to decide who pays the price for that :slight_smile:

There’s a psychological thing about being the only person to have touched an instrument I guess. For me I prefer the vastly greater access I have to instruments at used price points versus new.

New gear shows up with defects too. 100% of my gear issues (that I did not cause myself) were with new gear, not used. Luckily in both cases, I got a warranty with new gear, which is an advantage. However, with used gear, assuming the seller is honest, you get a known quantity. You just need to ask them the right questions.

3 Likes

Maybe he was a Carol Kaye fan?

2 Likes

A salesman of discerning taste and style. Picks are the best :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Cheapest bass I have found was by Polar Aurora for $91.

2 Likes

A DIY kit from Ali express or another company state-side

2 Likes

I bought a Harley Benton P bass as my first real bass, £80 delivered to UK, and it’s been great. I spent another £50 getting some decent pickups and had a go at setting it up myself and it’s perfectly good. Excellent customer service from Thomann too, so I would like to see them getting reviews (exposure)…
I recently got myself an Ibanez GSR200 natural grey burst, which I love, it’s definitely an upgrade in terms of tone and playability, although thats not what Josh and the testers thought.

And this is my point, reviews are helpful so you can see/hear the instrument as opposed to a picture on a website, but they are only one person’s opinion. The best review is the one you do when you pick it up and play it. If a £70 bass does what you want it to and you live playing it, that’s the best review of all.

5 Likes

The Glarry Gjazz bass, it’s the bass that I have and it’s phenomenal :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good question… just a few days ago, the Mitchel MB100 bass in PERFECT bass buzz orange was on sale for $89, now it’s back up to $159. Idk if this is within the budget but I think it’s Guitar Center’s in-house brand so a lot of people will probably looking for reviews. Plus, it’s totally bassbuzz!
Also the Rougues of course (like the SX100B), I almost bought one but decided that I definitely wanted to be a bassist and got a better bass.

A quick Google search has also revealed to me:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ccdes-Exquisite-Burning-Fire-Style-Electric-Bass-Guitar-White-Electric-Bass-Bass/409356106?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222321667865&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=75179223352812&wl4=pla-4578778774867687&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=&%20wl10=Walmart&wl12=409356106_10001033976&wl14=cheapest%20bass%20guitar%20ever&veh=sem&msclkid=4bfd057d1edc1ff7fca665539d3972b8

And this also on Walmart cause previews don’t work on Walmart links

I don’t know much about any of these, just some seemingly good prices.

Also some things I just found from AliExpress-
This one: US $75.87 30% Off | 4 String Black Burly Wood Electric Bass Guitar 43 inch High Gloss Acustica Bass Guitarra with Free Bass Bag with a little dent
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrVH8mn
And
US $65.03 40% Off | Exquisite Burning Fire Style Electric Bass Guitar Guitar Parts and Accessories Electric Guitar Electric Guitar
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKMKi3t

4 Likes

Great suggestions, @Glitch! Never heard of the brand, but I’m loving the Mitchell MB100 in orange… The fact that orange is the unofficial color of my home country may have something to do with that as well :wink:

3 Likes

Ibanez GSR 20B miKro Gio
It’s very small and light and it’s what got me into playing bass as I thought I wouldn’t have the reach to deal with a full scale bass (I later found out that that’s not a problem for me).
The build was great but the pots started crackling with static and I had to have them replaced - which increased the cost of the bass by 50%.

2 Likes

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Got this one https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B014IHHQ4I to learn your course in Oct. seem to be working well enough for a total beginner…

3 Likes

I got this one, works surprisingly well for the price

3 Likes

GLARRY Bass Guitar Full Size 4 String

dweller313.

5 Likes

Hey @dweller313 if you read what Josh posted, he says he’s already looking at Glarrys… nice text size tho :slight_smile: :grinning:

You have to ask yourself, “Was that comment really necessary?”

I think not.

Anyway, welcome to the community @dweller313! We are all here to help you if you have any questions or if you need anything.

4 Likes