Which DAW/Video Package?

HI ! No, I was just about to install Ubuntu Studio but I decided to give a try to just installing the packages I was going to try. I did just that and everything worked straight away. I’m just a standard user. I’ve never ventured into compiling kernels and I very rarely install anything that’s not in the depots. For what it’s worth, I found valueable information in this free book about the softwares I use.

3 Likes

Thanks to @juli0r, @Marcel, @howard, @lee_editorial, @Krescht, @sebastien.rangier, @kwt7667 for all your comments, everyone so helpful as ever on this group. Really appreciate it. Cheers

4 Likes

Thanks Sebastian! I’ve been start, false starting down the road on a DAW in Linux. I just don’t care for AV Linux (from a Linux standpoint). Thanks for the link and thanks for your input. Hopefully I’ll be ready in time for my first cover video.

2 Likes

Audacity is adequate and free, but I gave it up several months ago for Reaper which has many more features. After the trial ends, it costs $60 USD for a lifetime license, but it’s well worth it.

4 Likes

Thanks @PamPurrs. I agree I’d rather spend 60 now than learn something free first, then decide I need to learn Reaper later and have to start again.

4 Likes

Good plan @Mark_UK. Take advantage of the free 60 trial first before you fork out the money.

Also, there are a ton of great videos about Reaper on YouTube, plus a thread here on the forum.

4 Likes

Just tried it, wonderful!

I don’t want to invest on a camera. So the solution I came up is using my android as a webcam connected to the pc. Works perfectly with OBS and its several times better than my laptop’s camera. Plus, I don’t need to record it directly through the phone and then having to upload it to work on it anymore.

Just have to wait on my UMC204HD to test it all! Can’t wait!

4 Likes

Yes.
While it is freeware it has evolved to a really nice app including a neat UI.

A feature worth mentioning I also use often apart from just getting all the video and audio sources in one take: The hotkeys you can set are global! You could set “Start recording” to ctrl+alt+R and “Stop recording” to ctrl+alt+S and have the DAW window focused.

1 Like

When I record my drums…I do the following and its all free!
I used Apple Garageband…now Logic Pro ( GB bigger brother)
Start Video & Recording…Clap 2 x times at start…use this later to align Video/Audio
Record sound thru DAW and shoot video on I Phone
Mix/Pan/EQ/Reverb etc audio file
Move Sound and Video file to Desktop
Open Apple IMovie
Import RAW audio recording and Video File ( and backing track )
Align files to Clapping
Now reduce volume of Video file to 0
Perform final edits - Done

Hope this helps

2 Likes

Hey @401Blues,
What microphones do you use for your drums as I want to start putting some drums tracks down.
I use GB for all my recordings, photo booth for video, then mix in IMovie.
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

I installed that OBS studio, but it wouldn’t let me set it up without entering some key for YouTube. I gave up and uninstalled it. Apparently it’s designed for live broadcasts, not recording.

2 Likes

Hmm I don’t remember having to setup a youtube account. I’ll confirm on monday!

3 Likes

The classic method :slight_smile:

Not sure if iMovie does this but Final Cut has a “sync audio tracks” option where it tries to figure this out for you.

2 Likes

I bought the Audix snare drum/bass combo and when I bought the PreSonus AI it came with 2 matched PreSonus PM-2 Overhead Microphones

3 Likes

Cheers @401Blues,
I will check them out.:+1:
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Hi @PamPurrs,

I just reinstalled OBS. This was my process with the auto-configuration wizard:

Next I tried to record something

And it autosaved to my Videos folder.

It never asked me for youtube details!

4 Likes

Am I the only one using Bandlab…its all online and its free, now you can get a free download of cakewalk as well.

Larry

2 Likes

I have Cakewalk Sonar installed, started a thread about it when I discovered it went free:

Nice DAW, great drum kit VSTi comes with it too. In the end I didn’t like bandlab and kept looking but Sonar itself seems great.

4 Likes

Hopefully I’m gonna have some free time to learn to use it.

5 Likes

I’ve been working with OBS this past weekend. We ought to compare notes. I have it on my Mac Book and my Windows laptops.

2 Likes