Which DAW/Video Package?

Hi all, I’ve invested in a Focusrite Scarlet audio interface.
So now I want to spend some time learning to use a DAW to go along with it. I use a PC not a Mac.
I don’t have very high aims, and like most people just want to record a track (probably played on Tidal or via YouTube) into the DAW, possibly lessen the bass parts of the track (so some filtering I guess?), and then record myself playing my bass over the top. Standard stuff.
So my question is, what DAW should I invest time in learning?
I’d rather not learn a package which I would outgrow and want to change from after a short while, that seems wasted energy…
So if the recommendation is I need to spend a little money and buy a package to last rather than use freeware, I would consider it.
On the other hand if you all say there is something free that would do my modest aims, that’s good too.
What would you all suggest?
(As a follow up question, I would also need a simple video editor package that could take a video of me playing from my mobile, and sync it to the recorded track from the DAW. Any suggestions on that too please?)
Thanks all.

2 Likes

All possible with Audacity.

however

I own Reaper by now (trial period ended) and am very happy with it. It’s easy to learn in my opinion (easier than Audacity) and I highly doubt you will ever outgrow it even if your needs grow.

So my personal recommendation is download the trial version and learn Reaper to see if you are willing to spend 60 bucks for it. Audacity is free but a bit dogy regarding user interface. Like a lot of freeware is compared to the commercial products.

EDIT:
WAIT!
Your DAI comes with Ableton Live Lite! You don’t need to spend extra money or rely on freeware. I can’t speak for ease of use though. My outside perspective says it’s a bit harder to learn according to others so maybe the 60 bucks for Reaper would be well spend anyway. Some here use Ableton - maybe they can give some insight.

3 Likes

Thanks @juli0r.
Reaper doesn’t sound too expensive, probably worth a go then like you suggest.
Another factor would be support if I had a problem, and I think a lot of people use Reaper?

2 Likes

Using tracktion 7, it is free and simple to use, easy to learn

3 Likes

Thanks @Marcel, that’s not one I’ve heard of before.

1 Like

I like Reaper a lot.

Audacity is ok for straight recording but you’ll outgrow it fast if you want to do much more. It has no support for MIDI or virtual instruments at all; deal killer for me.

4 Likes

Thanks @howard for the vote for Reaper.

2 Likes

If anyone has any suggestions on a package to use to synch some video with the audio file from the DAW, that would be appreciated

3 Likes

I use OBS Studio to record video and you can record the DAI Output as well as the Input with it so I don’ thave to worry about sync afterwards. It’s a free video recording/streaming software.
You can also do stuff like Picture in Picture like I do in my videos.
Most recent video of me practicing Bachs Cello Suite

If you still want to seperately record and sync audio to video I don’t have a recommendation but basically every video editor should be capable of doing so. The problem is usually finding a visual reference to sync the audio to.

1 Like

@Mark_UK

I got the scarlet a couple of months ago and love it! (I’m on a PC as well) It came with free versions of Pro Tools First and Abelton Lite.

Ive been using Pro Tools First, and its been perfect. I also plugged in a cheap midi keyboard and that has been fun now that I have the recording capabilities.

I use Adobe Premier for video editing, but I’m sure there are some basic free platforms that might work for what you want.

3 Likes

I came across that one as well. Seems pretty easy to use for videos. Tried using my Presonus DAI for the sound and my DSLR for the video. Only problem I have is that my camera doesn’t support a clean HDMI out, so I get the focusing square on the recording :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Mark !
As a Linux user, I would advise for Ardour and Audacity as DAWs and Avidemux to sync video and sound.
If you have never tried Linux, then Linux Mint is very easy and it’s possible to use it from a simple USB drive. It’s free and open-source and so are almost all the softwares.

4 Likes

@sebastien.rangier I use Linux as well. I’m just getting into the AV stuff. Did you have to do anything special to Linux Mint (recompile the kernel or anything), or does it do well out of the box? I tried AV Linux, but I am very used to Linux Mint.

3 Likes

HI ! No, I was just about to install Ubuntu Studio but I decided to give a try to just installing the packages I was going to try. I did just that and everything worked straight away. I’m just a standard user. I’ve never ventured into compiling kernels and I very rarely install anything that’s not in the depots. For what it’s worth, I found valueable information in this free book about the softwares I use.

3 Likes

Thanks to @juli0r, @Marcel, @howard, @lee_editorial, @Krescht, @sebastien.rangier, @kwt7667 for all your comments, everyone so helpful as ever on this group. Really appreciate it. Cheers

4 Likes

Thanks Sebastian! I’ve been start, false starting down the road on a DAW in Linux. I just don’t care for AV Linux (from a Linux standpoint). Thanks for the link and thanks for your input. Hopefully I’ll be ready in time for my first cover video.

2 Likes

Audacity is adequate and free, but I gave it up several months ago for Reaper which has many more features. After the trial ends, it costs $60 USD for a lifetime license, but it’s well worth it.

4 Likes

Thanks @PamPurrs. I agree I’d rather spend 60 now than learn something free first, then decide I need to learn Reaper later and have to start again.

4 Likes

Good plan @Mark_UK. Take advantage of the free 60 trial first before you fork out the money.

Also, there are a ton of great videos about Reaper on YouTube, plus a thread here on the forum.

4 Likes

Just tried it, wonderful!

I don’t want to invest on a camera. So the solution I came up is using my android as a webcam connected to the pc. Works perfectly with OBS and its several times better than my laptop’s camera. Plus, I don’t need to record it directly through the phone and then having to upload it to work on it anymore.

Just have to wait on my UMC204HD to test it all! Can’t wait!

4 Likes