Which DAW/Video Package?

Yes.
While it is freeware it has evolved to a really nice app including a neat UI.

A feature worth mentioning I also use often apart from just getting all the video and audio sources in one take: The hotkeys you can set are global! You could set “Start recording” to ctrl+alt+R and “Stop recording” to ctrl+alt+S and have the DAW window focused.

1 Like

When I record my drums…I do the following and its all free!
I used Apple Garageband…now Logic Pro ( GB bigger brother)
Start Video & Recording…Clap 2 x times at start…use this later to align Video/Audio
Record sound thru DAW and shoot video on I Phone
Mix/Pan/EQ/Reverb etc audio file
Move Sound and Video file to Desktop
Open Apple IMovie
Import RAW audio recording and Video File ( and backing track )
Align files to Clapping
Now reduce volume of Video file to 0
Perform final edits - Done

Hope this helps

2 Likes

Hey @401Blues,
What microphones do you use for your drums as I want to start putting some drums tracks down.
I use GB for all my recordings, photo booth for video, then mix in IMovie.
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

I installed that OBS studio, but it wouldn’t let me set it up without entering some key for YouTube. I gave up and uninstalled it. Apparently it’s designed for live broadcasts, not recording.

2 Likes

Hmm I don’t remember having to setup a youtube account. I’ll confirm on monday!

3 Likes

The classic method :slight_smile:

Not sure if iMovie does this but Final Cut has a “sync audio tracks” option where it tries to figure this out for you.

2 Likes

I bought the Audix snare drum/bass combo and when I bought the PreSonus AI it came with 2 matched PreSonus PM-2 Overhead Microphones

3 Likes

Cheers @401Blues,
I will check them out.:+1:
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Hi @PamPurrs,

I just reinstalled OBS. This was my process with the auto-configuration wizard:

Next I tried to record something

And it autosaved to my Videos folder.

It never asked me for youtube details!

4 Likes

Am I the only one using Bandlab…its all online and its free, now you can get a free download of cakewalk as well.

Larry

2 Likes

I have Cakewalk Sonar installed, started a thread about it when I discovered it went free:

Nice DAW, great drum kit VSTi comes with it too. In the end I didn’t like bandlab and kept looking but Sonar itself seems great.

4 Likes

Hopefully I’m gonna have some free time to learn to use it.

5 Likes

I’ve been working with OBS this past weekend. We ought to compare notes. I have it on my Mac Book and my Windows laptops.

2 Likes

@gcancella weird… I never got that option about streaming or recording, it just assumed that I was streaming only and that’s why it asked me about the streaming service I was using. Are you on Mac or PC?

2 Likes

PC! Later in the day I can try on a Mac and let you know what I find

3 Likes

I got the options on both Mac and Windows. I set mine for ‘recording’.

1 Like

I’m on PC also, I’ll give it another try. Maybe I missed that step the first time.

Thanks

2 Likes

Okay I re-installed it, but still didn’t get that setup screen you showed. Nonetheless, it appears to be setup.

What do you use for video input? Do I need to purchase an external video camera? I didn’t see any way to just use the camera on the laptop.

Or do I just import an existing video that I’ve already created and sync it with the audio file?

1 Like

Weird.

On the bottom of the sofware’s screen (follow my mouse)

1. Click on the + button

2. Select the type of input

3. Give a name to ir or leave it be (it auto fills)

4. It should auto detect your camera

And the same goes for audio inputs! It’s extremely versatile

3 Likes

@gcancella thanks for that info. I had tried that previously and it didn’t work.

And then… DUH!

I realized I had my camera switched off.

Now that works.

As far as audio, now I have to test to see if it will interface with my DAI

3 Likes