Which finger on adjacent frets?

Using this riff as an example, which are “the best” fingers to use for the 5-5-5 on the E and A strings?

G|----------------------------------
D|----------------------------------
A|---5---3-----------5---3----------
E|-5---5---5-3-5---5---5---5-3-5

Target bpm is 112

1 Like

I’d stack ring and pinky on the the A and D, and index for the C and G.

3 Likes

I’d rolled the pinky. This is pretty common, I usually just use pinky and index, but it doesn’t hurt to stack either like @faydout recommended. I kinda do both depending on the level of laziness I am at the time. :rofl:

3 Likes

+1 same here

1 Like

Thanks y’all!

Just to be clear, stacking is both the ring and pinky on the two strings on the same fret?

Yes. Josh will explain the stacking in the Billie Jean lesson if you haven’t gotten there yet. It’s easier for my stubby fingers to do a pinky roll (I also knifed a nerve in a kitchen accident in my ring finger and I’ve been purposely trying to strengthen my pinky so that helps). It’s really just whatever works best for you.

1 Like

I roll pinky and index frequently. For me, rolling is the standard, stacking is the exception.

…

Now that I think about it, I only stack on 2 songs in my repertoire right now. The rest are all rolls.

2 Likes