Which flatwounds to buy?

Hey there! I’m looking at getting my first new set of bass strings for Christmas this year to replace the ones on my Squier Jazz Bass. I got it used a few years back, and it currently has a set of used roundwounds on it. I can see there’s some obvious discoloration where the previous user fingered the strings above the pickups. I’ve been considering getting new strings for some time and have decided to finally pull the trigger. :sunglasses:

I’m thinking I’d like to try a set of flatwounds, to be easier on my fingers and also to get a thicker sound. The question is… WhIcH OnEs To BuY? There are so many options! :dizzy_face::joy:

I’m looking at Steve Harris’ signature Rotosounds. Would these be too heavy of a gauge for playing or for my particular bass’s neck? I’d like something with versatility that can sound brighter or thicker depending on my mood. Here’s the sort of music I’d like to play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxZWXYLIsyA

What would you gentlemen (and ladies) suggest for that sort of style with my bass? As a newbie, I’m totally open to suggestions. I’m here to learn! :slight_smile:

Thanks!

1 Like

Thicker strings may mean you have to file the nut to fit them, and I’ve had a set of 1954 flats from LaBella and they were more like cables than strings. I would personally go for LaBella Deep Talkin Flats 760

6 Likes

Haraguchi-san used rounds when they did a cover. Rounds will cut through the mix better

1 Like

I just put Stve Harris flats on my p bass yesterday. Before that i had GHS precision flats. You can find GHS sound bites in the upgrade thread, from where I upgraded it with the Steve Harris pickups. The GHS flats are quite mellow, but brighter than you’d think, because theyre stainless.

Ill try to post a clip of the SH strings later.

2 Likes

Fender flats-cheap and sound and feel great. Better as they age. Thomastik-Infeld-top tier. Expensive, sound great, low tension. Sounds better over time. Probably need a set-up because tension difference. I like both. But for your first foray into the land of flats, go cheap, get Fender. You’ll love them.

3 Likes

I am a +1 for this. I love these strings and have them on 6 basses.

4 Likes

+1

4 Likes

Anything you want as long is it’s La Bella Deep Talkin’ Flats 760. I have them on 3 of my 4 basses (the 4th has round wounds). Classic sound!

3 Likes

Another vote for these:

3 Likes

Thanks so much for the feedback, everyone! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: I’m gathering the LaBella Deep Talkin Flats 760FS are pretty popular with a lot of people. Definitely giving them a hard look now!

What do y’all like so much about them? I always love hearing why musicians choose the gear they do! :slightly_smiling_face: One question I have after listening to a few sound tests is this: They seem to have a very thick, low sound (cool!) but can they be made brighter/crisper with EQ to cut through the mix if needed? I see a lot of reviewers on Sweetwater/Amazon saying they’re really good for Motown style songs. How would they hold up in hard rock?

1 Like

Steve Harris of Iron Maiden and John Deacon of Queen used flats. The vast majority of hard rock basses use rounds though for the brightness and clarity.

Though some like Steve DiGiorgio here use flats, but he plays fretless

1 Like

Like many answers to many questions like this….it depends. On your bass/pickup, amp, pedals/preamps etc. The 760s are not purely for Motown. Flats/rounds are one reason (excuse for the wife) to have more than one bass. They each bring different tones to a setup. The only way to know is to experiment.

1 Like

Thanks guys! You’ve convinced me — La Bella 760s it is! :sunglasses:

Great choice, please note that you will most likely need to have your bass set up changing strings, this is normal. Not sure how much experience you have, etc.
This is not a scary process, and something everyone should learn/know how to do (vs. paying $40-$80 for someone else to do). There are several threads here on the subject and many different methods. No one method is wrong per se.

1 Like

Thanks @John_E! Yeah… I have very limited experience with this. I did manage to lower my action a bit, but now I think some of my strings are higher off the fretboard than others. Now sure how normal that is lol. :joy: And I’ve never restrung my bass. Definitely want to learn how to do this though!

Would you mind linking me to a few of those threads? I think those will help me a lot. :+1:

3 Likes

I think the Sadowski way is the best until you understand the ‘feel’ of a proper setup.
start here, ask questions.

I do follow most of what Tank does above as well.

https://www.sadowsky.com/setup/

2 Likes