Which neck is best?

Try thomann.de instead. If you go through a VPN you could tell the website that you’re in a different country, too.

1 Like

There was a time that you had to pay a fee if it was outside Germany no matter the price. Glad they changed that back, but you still have to pay when returning a product (which used to be free).

These days I try to order locally.

How is Andertons Music Co. @V8Volvo245 ? They got a lot of products as well.

I’ve not used them personally, so wouldn’t know. I’m very taken with Harley Benton though, and the only place you can get them is Thomann, so…

1 Like

Same here.

1 Like

Even if this were true, do we think that in 2023 there’s a need for a bunch of slightly dull German descendants to walk around in opulent luxury opening hospitals, waving from balconies and saying “And what do you do?”

If the government proposed the Royal Family as a new government initiative to boost tourism it wouldn’t pass.

The days of the Raj have long since gone.

1 Like

The LiPo comparison isn’t the same. I do a LOT of RC, lol, but the feel and tone of my bass is so important compared to the aesthetics. Sure, it can’t be fugly, but how “I” interact with the neck and ergonomics, then how it sounds, are the important factors. The LiPo is more akin to the strings than the chassis (your bass).
If you’re serious about a “forever bass”, you need to hold it, play it and listen to it before purchase. Everything else are shot-in-the-dark trials. I’ve gone through more basses than I care to remember looking for that forever one and think I’ve come across it, a Squier of all things, lol. But I’ve owned up to $5k+ basses and this Squier is the one I connect with the most. The vibe makes everything else feel meh. Go figure!

2 Likes

Based on the article @Barney posted, this appears not to be true.
Also, the ‘value’ the royals bring is assumption based at best, unless all those tea sets with the Queen’s face on them etc sell exceptionally well, I have to imagine that the math is fuzzy at best.

I would also imagine if you opened up all the properties as museums and nixed the folks living in them there would be way more real tangible revenue generated and the workers within would be paid less compared to the ones there now.

I know the Brits love them some royals, but it just seems wrong to a lot of other folks I guess.

Yeah, exactly. Thanks @John_E and @MikeC. Only the product made in Germany that has that problem. I wanted a Warwick sling bag and a few things they don’t ship those. I tried to order from Warwick but holy crap! The shipping was just out of this world, it was $250 for $100 worth of products. Not a good deal, lol.

This is a great insight @pilmat I also love the analogy.

Ergonomic is a funny thing, if you are a prog player who practice 12-15 hours a day, it’s probably very important and would make a dramatic impact in your playing as well as your well being. I want to love the Strandberg Bass because I love the look and the neck and the body but it’s just not my thing. I spent a few weeks with one. That said, I bought a Strandberg guitar and I just love it.

Speaking of Squier, I just posted a cover with a bone stock Squier P bass in the mix and it sounded just as awesome as the rest of my line up which is all made in USA. I spent about 4-5 hours on that Squier sanding and set up making sure it “feels” right. Which is essentially what separates a good quality instruments to a mediocre ones beside the materials. It just needs hours of hands on touch to make it feels good.

2 Likes

:100: It’s all about finding the ones that make that “connection”

2 Likes

If you look at the other options, such as having an orange buffoon with a single digit I.Q. in charge of nuclear weapons, then I’ll take the monarchy any day, thanks. Anyway, the monarchy is just symbolic nowadays. They don’t actually interfere with the running of the country (although they really should sometimes)and the cost to the taxpayer is more than returned by the revenue they bring in.

Sure @V8Volvo245 but they elected him. It’s a democracy.

The Royal Family isn’t democratic. You have to be born into the privilege.

I was born in the UK so I understand it but just like all traditions which have changed for the better e.g. slavery, women’s emancipation, the colour bar, same sex marriage. It’s ok to question the status quo and say ‘Are they relevant in a modern world?’

1 Like

You know that it was the UK that put an end to slavery, right? The Abolition of Slavery Act of 1834 cost the UK so much that they only finished paying off the debts it created in 2015. The USA still had slavery in the 1860’s, by the way.

Why would that be? I have through neck bass that weighs 7.2.

1 Like

Same here mine is about 7.5lbs

1 Like

It depends on the types of wood the neck and body wings are made of. Different combinations of woods will yield different weight results.

Many custom shops will construct laminated through necks from several pieces for strength and beauty, with many being out of dense(r), exotic woods; and they will use Ash or Mahogany for the wings, with Mahogany being heavy. The total package will yield an instrument that’s naturally heavier than another through neck bass that might have a one-piece Maple neck and/or doesn’t use heavy woods for a laminated neck; and lighter-weight wings.

All to say, “generally speaking,” through necks are heavier than bolt-ons. But mileage invariably varies.

Virtually everyone here might have personal opinions about bass materials and/or construction.

Here is an article specifically about through neck (neck through) and bolt-on necks. Take the info with salt, to taste.

While I agree completely with the sentiment I just wanted to point out that these statements kind of contradict each other. The monarchy is not an alternative to powerful orange buffoons. For example, while Boris was slightly less orange, well, now you have the fun of Brexit. Canada, arguably the most reasonable people on the planet when it comes to politics (don’t laugh), had Rob Ford - definitely orange, definitely a buffoon; etc.

Another thing I will point out is that as an American (and a relative antiauthoritarian even by US standards), making fun of ones own government seems to me to be the most common and healthy thing ever. It’s like our third most popular spectator sport, behind (proper, full contact) football and baseball. So please don’t take offense when we make fun of other political systems and traditions too; it’s just how we are wired.

If it is any consolation, no one ridicules the US government more than Americans. We get downright vicious about it.

3 Likes

LOL, I don’t know how that happened. I must have hit the mic button. It’s fixed now, lol.

Something has changed recently with K&M products on the Thomann site. Don’t know why the manufacturer is choosing not to deliver to the US. Other German manufacturers on Thomann don’t have an issue shipping here.