Which strings for an acoustic?

I’ve never even played an acoustic but I just pulled the trigger on the fender Kingman SCE on reverb for $310 shipped! I would love everybody’s string suggestions?

3 Likes

Doesn’t it come with strings? :crazy_face: I’d try to find out what the factory strings are and see how I like them before starting to look for other strings…

1 Like

I like the one it does come with strings but it is used so I always like to change the strings when I get something used.

3 Likes

This it?

Specs page lists the strings.

3 Likes

That’s a steal. I probably would’ve jumped on that as well. Depending on how old it is though your strings may already be pretty good.

4 Likes

That’s a thing of beauty! And it can be plugged into an amp as well?

2 Likes

Yes, I believe all acoustic bases come with a preamp.

3 Likes

Yes thanks Howard. I mean more suggestions about what you guys like on acoustics. I’m definitely going to change the strings just because the space is from 2014 and I have no idea when they would have been changed so I’m just looking for ideas. I’m thinking of trying tapewounds.

2 Likes

Actually that’s the new one. It’s this version from 2014 which is slightly different.

2 Likes
2 Likes

@doylecb I have a set of new D’addario round wound phosphor bronze strings that you can have. I’ve found that round wound strings on the acoustic tend to be pretty noisy from my left hand as I “shift” from one part of the fingerboard to another.
I just put a set of ghs pressurewound bronze strings on and really love them.
Phosphor bronze strings are typically used on acoustic bass guitars because of the tension or pick up or both. Let me know if you want the D’addarios, I’ll be happy to put them in the mail.
Great looking bass btw. You’ll enjoy the convenience and resonance.

2 Likes

That is so nice of you! I really appreciate the offer but I definitely do not want round wound‘s on my acoustic. I’m leaning toward a set of D’Addario tapewounds. I’d like to try a higher gauge do I have to be concerned about the nut in the acoustic or anything like that?

2 Likes

I use the D’addario round wound phosphor bronze strings on my Dean acoustic and I really like them.

I’ll have to give those a try.

I wouldn’t expect it to cause you any trouble.

2 Likes

Be sure that the string can bottom out in the notch and move back and forth to be tuned easily. If the string gets pinched or hangs on the nut, you can open it up with a file. You can also put a really dark pencil mark in there to get some graphite powder in the notch.
I have no experience with tape wound strings. I’d be interested to know how it works out

3 Likes