Who do you aspire to be/play like?

That’s a good answer. I’d like to sound like me only more impromptu versatile… like Tiren Porter.

2 Likes

Yeah. I had a real hard time answering this one. And even now I am regretting the answer I gave ans it’s not super accurate.

2 Likes

When i finish the B2B , i will play like Sharay :joy:

3 Likes

John Taylor. So funky. Duran Duran - Rio (Isolated Bass) - YouTube

1 Like

John Wetton

Top 10 bass intro of all time in my book!
I aspire to play like Wetton and it would be such a bonus to be able to sing, too! :slight_smile:
4 Likes

So here’s my problem: I’d love to play like Bill Bruford.

:hushed:

3 Likes

This entire album is awesome. But, this particular intro is perhaps more “famous” for Bruford playing on a broken cymbal that he found in the trash bin in the studio, left there by the band that was recording before them. He liked the “broken” sound and used it in the opening fills here.

4 Likes

yes - iconic Bruford performance for sure!

4 Likes

Joe Dart

4 Likes

That was fun!

one of my favourite concert videos atm

3 Likes

Hi guys,
As a newby here I thought I’d offer up my favourite bass player, great style,smooth grooves and great vocals.
Played with Poco, then became the Eagles bass player after Randy miesner it’s got to be Timothy B Schmitt.
I can’t tell you why , and love will keep us alive are both great songs and very melodic bass lines.
Cheers Brian

1 Like

What a great read this thread has made :+1:
For my hero and someone I do aspire to play like I would unsurprisingly say Lemmy Kilmister. I just love his driving rhythm and use of cords.
If not Lemmy it would have to be Brian Marshall of Creed and Alter Bridge

1 Like

I don’t want to completely emulate a single bass player, which is why the question is difficult to answer without listing other great influencing players. It is also a tricky question because the bass player I can become is going to be a combination of multiple influences, with my approach mixed in.
If I can only list one: Bruce Foxton, The Jam.

The tone, his ability to help the band sound like they are more than just three people, and leading-quality backing vocals. The best you can have in a power trio.

3 Likes

Yeah, it is a tough question… and maybe not entirely “fair” - but, that also makes it a fun question :smile:

Thanks for chiming in!!

5 Likes

Despite my original answer I seem to be going Full Hooky a lot recently :slight_smile:

1 Like

My musical tastes are all over the place. Starting out with Maiden in the early 80s and ending up somewhere in the sea of trip hop via Portishead and DJ Shadow. But the person who made me think ‘man playing bass looks fun’ was French House producer Fred Falke. I’ve always loved French House music; Daft Punk etc but when I heard the song ‘808 at Beach’ that Bass line is just killer. I stumbled across a video of him playing live on top of him DJing and thought. I should really learn bass because that looks awesome. It’s a bit left field but hey !

2 Likes

I love house, especially deep house, old school stuff - Murk records, etc, things like Liberty City.

1 Like

I’ll have a representative reaching out to you to let you amend your original contract :grin:

2 Likes

This thread has been going for some time already, but I never contributed to it…
One reason might be that I didn’t think about it and another that I wouldn’t know who to choose…

However, there is one bassist who stands out among all in metal, who it would be worthwhile to aspire to because of his impact on the whole genre, Geezer Butler.
https://youtu.be/Zxjz6VhUOr8
Gotta get back to practice :sweat_smile:

4 Likes