Who would you choose?

That is a SERIOUS endorsement.

Clearly I need to begin studying how to quack like a Duck!

2 Likes

At this point in my bass playing career, I’m going to say Geddy Lee. First of all, I love Rush. I discovered them in high school and just went bonkers for their musical talent and dedication. Second, Geddy’s bass playing is always on point in their songs and he used a 4-string bass in I think most of their songs, if not all? Since I’m learning and focusing on 4-strings for the foreseeable future, Geddy is my pick.

3 Likes

Easy one for me.

Nathan East.

Why? He’s the hardest working bassist in the industry, an absolute gentleman and professional. Great musical taste, mad a$$ bass Kung Fu to match.

More reason?

7 Likes

Sounds great, as usual. Love your playing, @Al1885.

4 Likes

:rofl:
@gabe see also:

3 Likes

There is also this (very old) thread here:

So, yeah, a new “poll/survey” is certainly in order :smile:

There’s tons of bass players I find inspiring and whose tone or playing style I try to emulate or at least gravitate towards, but i’ll probably always have (the rather unknown) Frans Vollink as my “idol” - I admire his ability to combine groove and melodicism, and it certainly helps that I have met him a couple of times now and that he is a really nice chap :smile:

3 Likes

John Paul Jones (zep, of course), for the versatile legend that he is.

Or perhaps John Isles (Dire Straits) for his sheer rythm-keeping.

Or for fun approach to his playing, Norman Watt-Roy (Blockheads)

2 Likes

James Jamerson

Deon Estus (who learned from James Jamerson)

Carol Kaye

4 Likes

JPJ is a bigger influence on my than I realized!

Always loved his ability to either sit back in the pocket and support the band or jump to the forefront and carry them.

2 Likes

John Myung from Dream Theater

2 Likes

That band is full of top tier talent. Rudess, Myung, Petrucci, Portnoy…

3 Likes

Absolutely! One of my favorite bands tbh

4 Likes

Sometimes I feel like there’s so much going on that I stop enjoying the song and spend my time trying to figure how they all do what they do lol

3 Likes

Bro you ain’t kidding haha

2 Likes

I haven’t quite developed my bass ear yet but Justin Chancellor, he’s got some great riffs. Honorary mention to Ryan Martinie, he’s just ridiculous.

1 Like

It’s no surprise for the name like @TheMadBassist to name John Myung, lol. He’s such a bad ass.

4 Likes

Haha :joy: too funny. JM is a true master on the bass. After watching him play I’m torn between trying to better myself or give up lol

4 Likes

Is it only available on Kindle?

1 Like

I am surprised no one put Sir Paul-I think a study in how his playing changed over time would be great value.
Definitely Duck Dunn and Carol Kaye on the list.

2 Likes

I love all three.

1 Like