Who would you choose?

If you could pick a bassist to study/emulate that would most heavily influence your playing, who would you pick?

Why?

2 Likes

Duck Dunn or Joe Dart. The former because he played bass on a lot of my favorite songs growing up and the latter because it was his playing that really motivated me in the beginning of my bass learning.

5 Likes

Peter Hook, Simon Gallup, Will Heggie, Simon Raymonde, Steve Severin, Paul Barker, others - depends on my mood really. Generally the post-punk crowd though, and about in that order. Oh and Greg Norton when feeling more punkish. Could throw in Miki Furukawa and Kim Deal for when I’m feeling Indie Rock.

3 Likes

Victoria DeAngelis. She writes some great bass lines. Not fancy but they lay the groove and drive the song.

3 Likes

Verdine White, Nathan Watts, Joe Dart, Larry Graham.
But I suppose if I must give only one, Verdine White as for now.

3 Likes

yeah that’s not how I work either :rofl:

2 Likes

hooky, joe dart, tina weymouth, kim deal, josephine wiggs, and others. but primarily hooky & dart tied for first?

5 Likes

That’s a good list too. I’m pretty aligned except for Joe Dart, who I think is amazing and I enjoy his stuff but I don’t see myself really influenced by. Then again all I really know from him is Dean Town.

2 Likes

i include him as seeing the ‘dean town’ live at MSG made me buy a bass lol. so “influential” in that sense plus i dig his vibe.

but of course like any of these questions i could name 10 more people: simon gallup, mike watt, mani from stone roses, not a nu-metal boy but i do enjoy fieldy from korn’s bass tone, joe lally from fugazi, etc
 and so on and so on

4 Likes

Hmmm

My favourite comment:

Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 3.05.05 PM

3 Likes

yup - have seen a few breakdowns on his technique, thanks!

1 Like

I would just love to be in a rock or blues band laying a groove. Vic, Dusty Hill, Ian Hill, Haraguchi-san, John Paul Jones

I admire all the great bassists - I think Verdine White was the first one I saw, he was amazing. But that’s not me. I am just a working class bassist and that’s my aspiration

4 Likes

I recently discovered them!

I was first influenced by Flea and Tim Commerford to play the bast WAY back.

But lately I’ve been more drawn to musicality (not that the above two don’t have it), and playing simple lines that serve the song, not necessarily to be the showpiece.

2 Likes

Have not dug into Duck enough.

Joe Dart is a monster!

1 Like

I watched a video on Dusty Hill recently.

What a fantastic player and even better tone!

2 Likes

I got into Punk very later on in my musical journey and really got into the simple but powerful basslines.

2 Likes

Yeah one reason I really like Greg Norton is he does that, but also goes well beyond it.

2 Likes

Aw, hell yeah!^^^

I’ve been working through the great transcriptions/history book on Duck Dunn and his killer bass lines since @Gio mentioned it. The guy was so crazy inventive, true jazz masquerading as straight blues. But you can bet the legendary musicians he played with heard every surprising note. :+1:

6 Likes

and he did it with impeccable style :rofl:

I kinda think of him the same way I do Purdie as a drummer.

4 Likes

Duck most definitely had style, on and off the stage.

7 Likes