Who would you choose?

Like, I could easily see him showing up looking exactly like that at, say, the gas station. Just like I could picture Purdie answering telemarketing calls with “You done it! You done called the Hitmaker.”

3 Likes

You know it!

4 Likes

I’m really surprised no one has said it yet, since he shows in so many peoples top 10 picks. But hands down, Les Claypool.

Why? Well, his style in incredibly unique. He’s truly gifted.

2 Likes

What book are you talking about? I must order it!

2 Likes

I got mine from Amazon. It is fucking stellar.

The author personally transcribed each song so they are note-accurate. Highly recommended.

Every tune is a master-class workout, starting with the legendary “Sweet Home Chicago.”

7 Likes

Ordered! Thanks for the recommendation!

2 Likes

You bet, brother! Have a ton of fun.

2 Likes

I definitely respect Claypool!!

For me, he does more than I think I’ll ever need to lol

I think back to the fact that he once auditioned for Metallica :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Shame on me : I forgot to mention Stuart Zender. Now we’re good.

2 Likes

Now I just need to grow my beard out more and dig out my old pipe. Gotta look the part.

5 Likes

First things first…

4 Likes

Oooh excellent choice!

How could we have forgotten!

2 Likes

I am starting to play with a pick more- Number one reason is Justin Chancellor of Tool. His bass lines are so integral to a lot of their music.

3 Likes

I guess this is what going to confession feel likes. I’ve heard the name. I just looked at the discography and didn’t realize that he was the bassist killin’ it on a lot of my favorites, including two on the music stand right now (**one of which may have been covered in the course). ** Thanks, @MikeC. Ordered.

4 Likes

Eric Avery and Les Claypool. I don’t feel the need to sound like either but studying what they’ve created, I think, would help me understand how and why they created the basslines they created.

1 Like

You’re missing out. He’s got some killer grooves. I’d highly recommend a Vulfpeck deep dive. Some of their songs are….odd… to say the least but the ones that hit really friggin hit.

Beastly
Animal Spirits
New Guru
Daddy, He Got a Tesla
Funky Duck

2 Likes

Fantastic, @booker_t!

Duck’s lines are the essence of bass playing. He is revered by later-generation bass heroes, regardless of the genres they’re now famous for.

His signature work starts by laying down the groove. Then he builds on it, enhancing it over the course of the tune with timely fills and embellishments that drive the band forward.

Bottom line: his body of work is a very cool technical workout for your hands and your head.

4 Likes

That is a SERIOUS endorsement.

Clearly I need to begin studying how to quack like a Duck!

2 Likes

At this point in my bass playing career, I’m going to say Geddy Lee. First of all, I love Rush. I discovered them in high school and just went bonkers for their musical talent and dedication. Second, Geddy’s bass playing is always on point in their songs and he used a 4-string bass in I think most of their songs, if not all? Since I’m learning and focusing on 4-strings for the foreseeable future, Geddy is my pick.

3 Likes

Easy one for me.

Nathan East.

Why? He’s the hardest working bassist in the industry, an absolute gentleman and professional. Great musical taste, mad a$$ bass Kung Fu to match.

More reason?

7 Likes