Why did you pick up bass/what makes you like it?

My entire family is musical. I took accordion lessons in elementary school (I still have my accordion, too), but it never really clicked with me. So I went into software development… but I always wanted to play something musical.

My brother got into guitar really early, and he’s an AMAZING player today. I saw what he was doing and wanted to do it as well. But… every time I tried to play a guitar, it just never worked out. Plus, when I listen to music - even before I started playing bass - it was always rhythm and bassline that I follow in my head. Not the chords or the guitar solos.

So it was… kinda natural that I started playing bass. And while I’ve not always taken it very seriously, it’s been a part of me for more years than I can count. I got my first bass in… 1992 or so and I’ve pretty much had a bass since then.

Damn. I’d be a kickass player now if I’d taken bass playing even remotely seriously over the years. :smiley:

10 Likes

Dude, it took me til 53 to learn to count to four reliably. You’re doing fine!

6 Likes

The good thing is, that we’re all here enjoying what we love the most, regardless of how long it’s taken us to realize so lets just go for it :slight_smile:

6 Likes

That should be “Low end behold” :joy:. I have been attracted to bass since I saw and heard Flea play. I then has just always noticed bass lines and players. I picked up drums a few years ago and, as we all know, drums and bass just go together like strawberries and cream!

5 Likes

:scream: You’re that advanced ?! Makes me feel like quitting

7 Likes

Bump this over this 2 day lump. I want to hear more of your thicc string stories

4 Likes

I always wanted to, but I never did due to a couple things. First, I was afraid to fail. I mean that’s bold to say, but there it is.
At age 8 a music teacher told me never to sing or try to play music because I wasn’t able. She probably (I hope) went on to have a happy, rewarding life.
I, on the other hand was genuinely hurt. That was a deep cut. And I don’t know if it ever actually healed.
During the pandemic lockdown, my 50th birthday was coming. I asked myself what it was that I had always wanted to do but never had.
6 days later I had my first bass guitar.
I have never been happier or more excited about something I work so hard at.

I once heard Josh say " the best time to plant a fruit tree is 20 years ago. The Second best is today"

I lack things other people have. Like ability and natural talent.
But I got work ethic and commitment in spades.
I can, will, and AM doing this. And it’s amazing!

11 Likes

Look forward to seeing you progress along your bass journey @autumnsdad1990 ,
Plenty of support here👍
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Ouch. I know that feeling. When I was 13-14 practicing guitar, probably Crazy Train or Sultans of Swing, my mom came into my room and announced that it was okay if I played guitar but I wasn’t allowed to sing along.
Even now, 40+ years later, I was visiting my parents recently & mentioned that I was singing with my garage band. My mother, who is otherwise a decent human being, scrunched up her face, and, even after a stroke that keeps her from speaking much, just said, “don’t.”

5 Likes

That’s harsh on both accounts @autumnsdad1990 @LeftyChad

3 Likes

At age 8 a music teacher told me never to sing or try to play music because I wasn’t able.

At age 21, I was in college doing a music performance major and my clarinet professor told me that I did not have enough “innate talent” to be a professional musician, that I “shouldn’t have to try so hard” to get basic theory concepts, and that my playing was “boring and robotic.” He said: “You are an above average clarinet player, but a horrible musician.”

I dropped my music major the next day and did not make a serious attempt to “restart” my musical journey until last year.

9 Likes

What an asshole.

7 Likes

https://smile.amazon.com/Talent-Overrated-Separates-World-Class-Performers/dp/1591842948/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3FNWQDNJERI1A&dchild=1&keywords=talent+is+overrated&qid=1630599542&sprefix=talent+is+over+%2Caps%2C-1&sr=8-1

4 Likes

My reasons for picking up bass:

1. I was in lockdown and bored AF
  2. I’ve always liked good bass lines. I played piano for about 2 years, and I always enjoyed playing the bass line (left hand) a lot more than the melody (right hand). Also I developed some early signs of bass face during that period.
  3. I can play it any time of the day, even in the middle of the night. I have an electronic drum kit that I barely play, due to neighbours not being impressed.
  4. I thought it would be easy
5 Likes

What an asshole.

He was also my “faculty advisor” and ran the orchestra and wind ensemble so I was rather screwed. My other favorite thing he did was to give me a C clarinet (I played Bb and had never touched a C before) at the beginning of a rehearsal and wanted me to sightread/transpose a part with a clarinet solo. Made me stand up in front of everyone. At the end said “A real musician would have been able to do that.”

5 Likes

I’ve been to a lot of concerts over the years. Inevitably, there would be solos played and I never got too excited when it was either guitars or drums, but when the bass player did one, I was in heaven.

5 Likes

Talent is Overrated: What Really Separates World-Class Performers from Everybody…

Yeah. My life experience has taught me that people who work really hard at something; are competent and dependable tend to do better than “prodigies” or the “natural talent” folks who tend to burn hot and then die out—and thats across professions; exceptions do exist.

5 Likes

What a jerk.

I’ve got a friend with 3 kids, youngest a daughter. Due to economy and work the family had to move around while bthe girl was in middle school, and she never settled in. At the end of middle school she was evaluated for careers and they told her to go to beauty school she wasn’t cut out for academics.

She was devastated. Her brothers wrote on her mirror (using her lipstick) 1 hour a day. And from that point on one of her siblings came over to study with her an hour a day.

When she graduated high school and was giving her valedictorian speech she pointed out all the staff in the audience who told her she was dumb, and proceeded to talk about believing in yourself.

Her dad was never more proud. Bet I heard the story a hundred times

Teachers should be celebrating kids, not ragging on them. Time to queue up Another Brick in the Wall part 2

8 Likes

Was his name “Terence Fletcher” by any chance, @Old_WannaBe ? . . . :wink:

6 Likes

Just like @Old_WannaBe , @LeftyChad and @autumnsdad1990 , it’s a solid middle finger to my lifelong detractors who said I shouldn’t even try to learn an instrument because I never could.
Plus of course Steve Harris, COVID and a 15th wedding anniversary, but the preceding reason is the main one.

6 Likes