Wipe Down Your Instrument

I understand. Thanks for the reply :+1:

1 Like

I imagine the wipe down after this music video took quite awhile… (not sure how that cannot sound dirty but oh well)

Seriously though, I wonder if she had a prop bass for this or how they did the magic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gtosXjzt-o

The natural state of bass neck once the strings are installed is under tension so I just usually try to keep it under tension. Most necks nowadays are pretty bomb proved.

1 Like

It’s more of a thing where I don’t want to rapidly release and then re-add tension. Might be futile but I am assuming the flexing and unflexing adds more wear than keeping it under one tension.

2 Likes

Is that not more to do with just cutting the strings as opposed unwinding them?

1 Like

Yeah that’s a bad idea to begin with. I just unwind and then cut them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I usually change one string at a time starting with the smallest gauge it seems to yield the least amount of retuning.

I always pull them all off because thats when I clean and polish the fretboard and frets.

Sorry gunk fans, guitar gunk is disgusting :face_vomiting:

3 Likes

Ha ha. I agree. I do that when I get the new instrument basses or guitars. I usually change the strings and clean and sanitize the e fingerboard before oiling it. After that they are all my gunk, which is a lot more desirable, lol.

Yeah, I go all out on the cleaning/polishing etc. :joy:

Yep, me, too.

1 Like

Or just use a fret guard. Saves on all that taping. More time to play bass not tape it. Win / win.

Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 5.01.07 PM

Ot just use neither and just buff the scuff marks out of the fretboard :slight_smile:

Not joking, works fine.

That is my preferred method.

One word of caution on fret guards though - They are usually made by punching a group out all at once on a single sheet of metal and it is a good idea when you first get them to make sure there are no burrs or sharp edges on the guards that could mark your fretboard.

1 Like

That was after scrubbing the fretboard, to keep the metal polish off the wood :laughing:

I had plenty of tape, lost some of its tack for masking cars, may as well make use of it somewhere :joy:

If you mean the fret wires themselves, can you please explain what you use to buff the fret wires?

4\0 steel wool works petty good. I’ve also used nev-r-dull but it leaves an oily film, so the taping is important.

Yeah I made this mistake. Never again

1 Like

For the fret wires I use a very high grit nail buffer to clean and polish the frets. Works perfectly, like a gunk eraser. StewMac even sells them but forget that, just buy them in bulk for a couple bucks. Just make sure you go high grit, a few thousand grit at minimum.

But I meant the wood. You can use fine abrasives to buff and polish unfinished/unsealed wood just fine too, so if you scuff a rosewood fretboard while polishing the frets, I have had good luck just buffing it out with the same nail buffers.

High grit nail buffers are what I am using. I have used 4/0 steel wool like @autumnsdad1990 mentioned but always felt it was still not fine enough grit wise.

2 Likes