Wipe Down Your Instrument

Daily reminder, that’s not playwear—that is junk from your disgusting hands

1 Like

I wash my hands before playing so they’re not THAT disgusting.

3 Likes

Nice thing about lacquered maple fretboards - you can clean them with soap :slight_smile:

1 Like

While it’s true when it comes to hygiene but as parts of breaking in the string it’s just takes too long, lol.

2 Likes

I do the same and then when I change strings I clean and oil the fretboard, polish the frets, and check the hardware is all snug. This has worked for me since the 1970’s so no sense in changing now :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yep. Every time I change the strings, they all come off and I clean and/or oil the fretboard, polish the frets, check their leveling, etc. Usually let the neck rest with the strings off for a bit too.

2 Likes

I do wipe my strings down with a cloth and use String Fuel when it suits my fancy… it smells great! :smiley:

1 Like

I change strings every time I get a bass especially a used one. I’m the only person that touch those strings. I usually get a squirt of sanitizer before I start and I wash my hand after. Wipe down not so much, lol.

1 Like

Sanitizer is nice if you want “clean” dirt :laughing:

2 Likes

My instruments look better with grime. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Or you could take the Captain Beefheart approach… “Leave that stink on your guitar. Now try to get that stink your music…”

1 Like

Well, even though the goal is to find the funk, i always wash my hands before i practice. Being a guy who commonly turns wrenches and gets pretty funky from the job, it’s only practical to play after a shower and a good hand scrubbing.

It’s the fingernails that really get to me. I got a thing about it. Always have. Mine are so short if i cut them any closer there’s gonna be blood.

I also use water based cleaning wipes on my basses. Wipe it down and dry it off.

I’m not a guy who has really expensive instruments. My most expensive bass is like 699 off the rack-but i still like to take really good care of them.

2 Likes

I eat Popeyes before playing my instrument. It keeps the fretboard nice and oiled.

8 Likes

It’s little know secret that Squalene or natural nose grease is the best string lubricant especially your right hand.

Bass wise roughly biannual cleaning is plenty for me.

4 Likes

Yep, I wash my hands before playing. That’s all. Works great

1 Like

Haha, yeah, you can see Jeff Andrews “apply” some of that stuff at least three times during his solo here (oh, and enjoy those late-80’s outfits - so, uhm, gorgeuous :joy:):

2 Likes

How long is a bit and what does this accomplish :thinking:

Usually overnight. I like to let it sit without tension for a while rather than rapidly changing tension back and forth.

2 Likes

I never do, longest the strings are off is while I have a quick coffee n a cig, then on and straight back to playin :joy:

1 Like

I figured as long as I was letting the oil soak in anyway, might as well let it sit a bit and play another instrument instead :slight_smile:

2 Likes