Wireless

Who uses a wireless system and what do you think?

2 Likes

I’ve used these for two years with very little problems. They are a lightning deal right now on Amazon for $48

3 Likes

Had zero problems with the Boss WL-20 for home practice, they are pretty good quality. Using wireless for live gigs is a different story. See Josh’s post in Wireless Bass? (think it still holds up in 2023)

3 Likes

I’ll follow that up with the fact that I love not getting tangled in a cable when I play standing up. Moving from my pedalboard to my mixer to my amp. Especially when making a cover and I have lights set up and my laptop or my phone on a tripod.

3 Likes

I have the Sennheiser XSW set and they are great.
That said, I wouldn’t buy them again.

Instead I would buy the Boss WL-50 that @Barney has.
I did not buy this to start with as I did not want the space taken up on my pedalboard, but there are two key features of the Boss that are, well, boss:

1. 12! hours on a single charge, so if you are lazy and don’t recharge it you will be fine for a couple days. I get about 4 hours from the Sennheisers.
  2. Transmitter charges in the dock! Now I have to plug both ends into wires and I bought one of those Fender Amp keychain holders to hold them while they charge under my desk.

If you are looking for a non-pedal form factor and don’t mind the plug in wire charging, then the Boss WL-20 would be the ticket and still get 10 hours on a charge (over double the Sennheisers).

3 Likes

How long does one charge actually last on those @Paul_9207 and has it kept up?

3 Likes

Very happy with my Boss WL-50. I have a noisy emf house and it’s been perfect.

Sits on my desk next to my Helix. I can play all day on the weekend and it keeps its charge. Then plug into the charger and it tops it back up.

5 Likes

See also:

3 Likes

I honestly don’t remember. Probably between 3-5 hours. In my 1-3 hour sessions I always have plenty of battery left.
Just looked at the listing on Amazon and it claims 5.5 hours.

3 Likes

Wireless are very convenient and for the most parts work as advertised. I have several set from $50-$250. More expensive ones are not necessarily offer stronger signals. In most situations it will come down to 2 things. How well they connect and ease of use.

I just treat mine like a cable no more. More features more things can go wrong.

3 Likes

I have a set, can’t recall what brand but I’ll look later.
What I have found is that it does cut down on a lot of the noise my amp would otherwise pick up.
One bass in particular (my kit bass) has an annoying amount of noise when the treble is turned up even a bit but the wireless eliminates this.

3 Likes

I use a Line 6 G10.

I’ll admit that I chose this model purely because it allowed me to use the same transmitter for my main rig and for my Yamaha THR30WII practice amp (which has the receiver built in).

Connectivity has been flawless and battery life is an easy 6 hours.
There’s no pops or bangs when plugging in and there’s no wires to pick up environmental noise.

My only negative is that the base station (receiver/charger) seems bigger than it needs to be. A smaller footprint would be nice in terms of occupying pedalboard real estate.

4 Likes

a good pic, but here are mine, just plug in ones.
I get 3-4 hours I think

2 Likes