Women on Bass

Go-Go’s were just great overall. Jane Wiedlin did some iconic solo stuff too, so it wasn’t just Belinda Carlyle.

I always liked this thing Jane did with Sparks (who are also awesome). It’s basically a very, very typical Sparks song plus Jane.

3 Likes

If you haven’t checked out the Sparks documentary you might like it. It’s odd, but then so are they in a wonderful way.

3 Likes

Yeah the Mael brothers are amazing. Thanks, I’ll check it out :slight_smile:

My all time favorite Sparks:

Whole album is great.

I remember this song. I was a fan of Jane back in the day. She had a tattoo on her ankle, and you never saw a woman with a tattoo back then. It was so edgy. My GF saw it and got a tattoo and her mom’s head exploded. Sounds silly now, but it was at the start of a trend.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Yes, thank you very much for this thoughtful post. I’d been avoiding this thread off & on because – sigh – casual sexism just gets SO OLD when you’ve dealt with it your whole life. You can’t fight every fight, so (and I think you put this quite well), folks on the other side of casually sexist comments just stop logging in, or stop participating. You only have so much energy & a little quip can be a huge energy drain when it’s the 100th or 1000th time you’ve heard it. And if you’re a woman who loves music, you’ve almost certainly dealt with this sort of thing at music stores, gigs, other online forums, etc. It’s nice to have a refuge, and this forum usually is!! :slight_smile:

P.S., not sure why Bassbuzz just told me this was a new reply, not months old? Maybe I’d avoided the thread for longer than I thought. D’oh. Anyway, seems everyone has moved on & the thread is back on track, which is awesome possum. Cheers, all.

11 Likes

A bassist I really like, Vic De Angeles

https://youtu.be/Y0NiJQnCons

2 Likes

That Danelectro sounds a lot better than I thought it would

3 Likes

Danelectros sound awesome.

Listen to any NOFX recording from 1995 and on.

3 Likes

OH DANG! Saving that to read later. :smiley: Gracias

2 Likes

Thx @T_dub, I had no idea. I guess I needed to be reminded not to judge a book by its cover. Still can’t get passed the longhorn, but I could be talked into a 59’ DC longscale. A lot of PU options.

2 Likes

Yeah it really rocks. Not as wise as @T_dub I didn’t realize till I caught Vic either

3 Likes

Yes, I agree. I couldn’t really get behind a long horn just cuz it looks so country.

They still sound great, but I would kick my own ass if I was found with one on stage.

The 59 DC is where it’s at, and I like long scale for sure.

The difference between the scales is primarily the bridge and pick up locations, cuz it’s a standard scale body and neck to keep costs down when manufacturing.

I would like to see other color options.

Also the Danelectros HODAD is pretty cool too.
I think there are a few other styles. Not as commonly found, but they are out there.

4 Likes

If I was buying a Danelectro it would be this Wild Thing…

12 Likes

Yep, that’s what I was thinking of, just couldn’t remember the name of it.

That blue is super cool too

3 Likes

Here is a Danelectro HODAD

Some have 3 pick ups as well. This must be a SS with only 2 pick ups, you can see how far up the bridge is.

This one is Long scale with a 3rd pick up

8 Likes

Those Danelectro basses look pretty cool. Never looked much into the brand because of the longhorn.

4 Likes

The Longhorn is the bass equivalent of the US military standard issue Birth Control Glasses.

(literally what everyone calls them, because you ain’t getting any while wearing them)

5 Likes

:joy: :rofl: haha maybe I should buy different glasses irl too!

3 Likes

Yeah, I was surprised those were Danelectro since they weren’t ugly as sin… I suppose that the lipstick pup is a danelectro thing?

4 Likes