Misa

so many. Too many others to list.

11 Likes

All right trying again

Thanks!

18 Likes

It worked!

3 Likes

To add your female bassists youtuber list, there’s the 2 Julia’s.

Julia Hofer from Thomann’s: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThomannsGuitarsBasses/featured

Julia Przybysz from juliaplaysgroove: https://www.youtube.com/c/juliaplaysgroove19/featured

6 Likes

I love all of this!!!

4 Likes

Another excellent aspect is that their extended bands are all so damn good. Everyone in Band-Maid is a top notch musician, all music school grads or dropouts IIRC. Just solid straight metal, with a bassist that can more than keep up with the (excellent) guitars, and a really unique dual-vocalist thing that just works.

Same level of talent for Gacharic Spin (F-Chopper’s band); their side projects too (Doll$boxx is Gacharic Spin + Fuki from Unlucky Morpheus). Metallic Spin is hilarious.

CQ is incredible, following on from Tokyo Shoegazer. Supercar was more or less the original '90s indie band in Japan and Miki Furukawa’s solo work continues to be great. Polysics is still cranking out stuff on the regular, totally Devo. Etc etc etc. Very talented scene overall and lots of women owning the bass.

5 Likes

Gail Ann Dorsey playing with David Bowie
Ida Nielsen

11 Likes

I love that first video you posted @howard

3 Likes

Yeah Kiyoshi is amazing. Cranking out videos on her channel right now too, just posted a gear rundown.

8 Likes

I’ll have a listen later @howard.
I’m supposed to be having a Skype meeting with my shrink but I forgot and have been enjoying a few Jimmy Beans whilst rewiring my old Harley this arvo. Could be an interesting meeting :joy::joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

hahahaha!

She added english subtitles if you turn them on.

3 Likes

Need to learn me some slang, @Mac - who or what is an arvo??

Now back to the topic (for @Regina) : didn’t we have a thread for female bass players already?? Methinks we do, but probably OK to re-start it here…

Was gonna mention Ida Nielsen (who played with Prince), but that is already done I see.

Then there is also Mohini Dey, Esperanza Spalding, Meshell Ndegeocello, Mai Leisz, and recently KT Chang from Elephant Gym:

7 Likes

Arvo = afternoon in Australian
Joerg @joergkutter👍
Now your getting to learn our language :joy: :rofl:
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

I let Joerg know what arvo means Mac @Mac,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Thanks, Brian! I had a hunch, but better to get some confirmation with slang terms before I’ll use them wrongly and embarrass myself :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Thanks @TNKA36

I’m organising horses and opening the Great Northern beer now as we seem to have a Jim Bean drought :joy:
Best of it is I’m sat drinking with a cop :joy:

5 Likes

Kim Gordon hasn’t been mentioned yet. Now I remember that I listened to quite a bit of Sonic Youth when I was still contemplating buying a bass and thinking that’s the kind of music I’d like to do.

18 Likes

Good call, Sonic Youth is great.

Another not mentioned yet: Sara Lee, Gang of Four’s second bassist, who did a ton of session work as well.

9 Likes

Sonic Youth reminded me of Shonen Knife, an Japanese punk band that started in 83. Sonic Youth listed them as one of their influences. And they’re still going.

Ritsuko is alot of fun on bass. They’re a fun concert.

7 Likes

They are fantastic. Major influence on many of the Grunge bands - Cobain talked about them a lot.

They are basically the Japanese Girl Ramones. Still touring too. They are playing a gig tonight, in fact.

Probably my favorite:

8 Likes