Women on Bass

They aren’t called the Osaka Ramones for nothing.

5 Likes

So good.

4 Likes

I was wondering about Suzi Q … she wears her Bass so low, is it just for show or can she actually play the bass well ?

6 Likes

not that uncommon. Hooky is famous for it.

4 Likes

Oh Suzy can play very well @Brian.RichardS :+1:

- YouTube

And never uses a pick I believe

5 Likes

BOO :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Now this is low :grin:

No woman though :wink:

4 Likes

The way Reginald Arvizu (“Fieldy”) of Korn plays always amazes me. Almost like an upright:

(Definitely not a woman either :wink:)

7 Likes

Maybe not quite as extreme but wearing the bass with the neck high like that is actually a very comfortable way to play, super easy on the fretting wrist. Try it!

Totally serious. It’s especially good for playing with wrist tendonitis.

6 Likes

These guys secretly dream of playing a Chapman stick, but their bandmates won’t let them :rofl:

9 Likes

Yes, I actually play with the neck quite high to relieve tension on my fretting wrist. Not as high as Fieldy does though… And definitely not with my bass slung so low!

3 Likes

My contribution …

12 Likes

Well I came in hear planning to talk about Tina Weymouth and Laura Lee as they are both incredible… but both have been mentioned already.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the Smashing Pumpkins yet. D’arcy Wretzky was the original bassist and therefore responsible for those early albums which were fantastic. When she left they had another female fill in for a bit. Then when they got back together they brought in yet another female bassist.

When just playing through some random covers the other day I realized I unintentionally was playing three consecutive female bassist covers in a row with Talking Heads, Smashing Pumpkins, The 5,6,7,8’s. Added in Overwhelmed by Royal and the Serpent (I think she is just a solo act and doesn’t really have a bassist but not sure) and Seven Nation Army with Meg on drums for a fun little female powered playlist. Turns out gender has zero to do with a person’s ability to write and perform a great bass line!

7 Likes

Please feel free to talk some more about them. :wink:

3 Likes

Amen to that!

3 Likes

Mrs Mowtown

2 Likes

Small Bass World Trivia: Current Pumpkins bassist is Jack Bates, Peter Hook’s son :slight_smile:

They have a history of fantastic bassists.

4 Likes

Paz Lenchantin did a great job with the bottom end of A Perfect Circle in the early days of the band. A Perfect Circle - Judith (Official Music Video) - YouTube She could even fix her hair mid song :grin:

3 Likes

Jennifer Finch from L7 got an awesome energy and is badass AF!

9 Likes

You’re probably referring to Melissa Auf der Maur. She played bass in Hole, Smashing Pumpkins and in her solo project. Amazing singing voice as well:

9 Likes