Women on Bass

Maybe I missed them while reading through the thread but I don’t recall seeing Meshell Ndegeocello or Esperanza Spalding mentioned.

3 Likes

Yeah she has an amazing talent

2 Likes

A friend of mine introduced me to the Au Pairs today. Female bassist included. I may be a little bit in love.

4 Likes

Meshell doesn’t get talked about a lot anymore. Toko plays a bunch of instruments but has been holding down the low end on tour with st. vincent lately.

4 Likes

I’ll add some filthy rock n roll to the mix. Karen Cuda of Nashville Pu$$y (edit). Awesome player, and crazy stage presence!

3 Likes

This is so awesome on every level.

2 Likes

I’m somewhat obsessed with her. Really talented.

2 Likes

I couldn’t help myself!! All in good fun @alexmorrison14!!

4 Likes

Oh yes,some amazing bass badasses here. I just saw this young lady yesterday ,thanks to the youtube algorithm,not sure if any of you posted her already.

She isn’t famous ,but someone who is more like us mere mortals playing in her bedroom.

This cover blows me away and I never even realised what bass groove was hiding in the song,as it is quite far away from what I normally listen to.
Anyway ,have a butcher’s and a listen.some of the fills are absolutely what I aspire to sound like one day…

https://youtu.be/XdBR-SrP6uU

15 Likes

I’d have to admit that I had mostly forgotten about her (Meshell N.) until she sang on Pat Metheny’s new album last year. Toko is a great addition to the list.

3 Likes

@Stando she brings the funk!

4 Likes

Yeah she’s rather insanely multitalented.

2 Likes

Yolanda Charles

9 Likes

Takes some… swagger :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

it really irks me that women musicians have to also be models these days. i have always liked girl singers more than guy singers and i remember when nobody cared what they looked like, because they’re musicians, not some weird girlfriend fantasy experience. but it seems to be happening a bunch now in bassists too, and i don’t know how to feel about it. i mean, a bunch of these girls are really talented which should be enough. but…

8 Likes

I was actually thinking about this the other day. It’s especially bad because many of the musicians have come to realize what sells and feel like they need to play it up too. Like, Juna Serita is a great bassist but virtuosity is not why most of her fans go to her channel.

I like Kiyoshi for this. She flaunts it a bit in her actual music videos, but the majority of her twitter content is like her having beers and talking about her projects.

4 Likes

right, i think it’s the emphasis. i have to always explain to my wife that i could care less what st. vincent looks like, i like her music. and she does wear some really revealing stuff and looks good. but she isn’t doing it so a bunch of boys can wank off, she does it because she wants to. girls (and guys too) are allowed to look good and feel good about themselves, it’s just that it seems to be the default marketing position these days. i had a lot more respect for juna before i saw her IG page with her shoving every inch of her umm everything into a camera.

4 Likes

I mean cmon. You don’t have to do this.

5 Likes

Exactly.

4 Likes

This discussion makes one appreciate artists like Scandal, Babymetal, and Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, all of whom are very successful international artists who don’t go for sexy. So it can be done. But this is nothing new, it has plagued the business for sometime. Back in the early 80s, Joan Jett wrote Bad Reputation about not being able get a record contract because she wouldn’t act or dress sexy. So she created her own indy label and had a hit with I Love Rock and Roll, and the record companies all of a sudden couldn’t sign her fast enough.

It’s all in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO6YL09T8Fw

8 Likes