Yamaha fretless - any input?

Thanks, @juli0r!

Interestingly, there is one (like mine, i.e., slightly newer and with frets) on sale in the local used online market, but the bass itself apparently is in Dortmund (and most of the ad is in German). And, yeah, I don’t think they can get what they are asking… not by a long shot (DKK11000 = USD1650):

And, USD 1350 for the (older) fretless is probably also a tad too much! You are right about supply/demand, but in this case demand is probably very limited also!

Haha, that “confession” might get you some (friendly) roasting from the Sklar fans in here :grin: The man is only one of the most recorded bass players out there :wink:

5 Likes

Let the roasting commence! :pig2: :pig2: :pig2:

I’m the first one to admit not knowing many bass players by name. When Josh mentioned the bass player on a Jamiroquai album I was like “oh, cool.” and as you can see I already forgot the name again. I’m not good with names at all.

4 Likes

Not to worry! I knew a whole bunch of bass players when I started playing bass myself, but very soon I had to admit that I had no idea who Carol Kaye was… So, there you go!!

4 Likes

Yeah. “Thanks” for making me look up another one :unamused:

Just kidding. All good.

4 Likes

Carole Kaye and Lee Sklar are two bassists who are not exactly household names, because they weren’t “part of” big name bands. Yet, it’s hard to go through a day of listening to music without hearing one or both of them playing bass.

5 Likes

You’re absolutely right, of course, @PamPurrs, and it is amazing to see where their names pop up!

On the other hand, I am not known to listen to stuff that is in heavy rotation on the radio, which is another “excuse” why it took me a while to even become aware of Sklar’s and Kaye’s body of work.

Another one like them is Nathan East.

Oh, and for @juli0r: one of my very first posts in here was this one, where I (I guess) tried to impress the rest with my prior knowledge of bass players:

It would be interesting to hear how many of these names you’ve heard of before (or some of their music) - my guess is not many :grin: And, very importantly, there is absolutely no evaluation of you, and your knowing or not knowing these people, associated with this “silly quiz”!!!

3 Likes

I’d heard of:
Etienne M’bappe
Frans Vollink (from you) :slight_smile:
Adam Nitti
Chris Squire
John Patitucci
Mark King
Stanley Clarke
Hadrien Feraud

so I did poorly given the list :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So go full Jaco mode and pull out the frets

4 Likes

Haha, thanks @howard! It was really mostly for our young friend who didn’t know who Leland Sklar was (just teasing you, @juli0r).

The main point is, though, that you similarly could make a list with bass players that I hadn’t heard of before and where I would do “poorly” (probably because the Venn diagram of our musical tastes doesn’t overlap very much), but that this is also the beauty of this forum - namely that we get confronted with stuff (music, players, gear, etc) outside of what we otherwise would entertain ourselves with :smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, well, you should have seen the sweat beads on my forehead only from applying fine steel wool to the back of the necks of some of my basses (to get a satin feel)… taking pliers to one of my basses isn’t really something I feel super comfy with :crazy_face:

3 Likes

i bet your wife, will have a different opinion

New bass, angry wife
Pliers , happy wife

3 Likes

During the period in which I was investigating the idea of playing fretless, I inquired at a couple of shops about having the frets removed from my Yamaha BB235. Everyone discouraged me; saying that it would never sound good again and to just buy a fretless, which is what I did.

3 Likes

dont worry just kidding

3 Likes

LOL I know.

I ended up buying a Ibanez fretless, so I still have my Yamaha BB235 intact :smile_cat:

3 Likes

Have you considered putting frets on your Ibanez?

5 Likes

I’m sure you’re joking @howard LOL

4 Likes

Well, the trick is to have several basses already, and have them standing next to each other in a (parallel) stand… I have five now and one spot left in the stand - I am sure my wife wouldn’t notice a new one :grin:But, she is OK with it, even thought she doesn’t quite understand the need for more than one bass, really… :wink:

5 Likes

Now you have me curious about this parallel stand that houses 6 instruments. Details…?

3 Likes

Yeah, sure! I thought I (and at least one other buzzer) had mentioned that when we were talking about how to “store” basses before!?

I have actually two stands that house three each, but the same brand has a version for five, seven and even nine basses.
Here is a link - I know it is a European store, but I am sure you have similar stuff in the US. This particular brand is called “Gravity”:

Here is how it looks at my place - sorry, very quick shot, no clean up or otherwise arranging for the photo :grin:

4 Likes

I found one on Amazon $65.25

4 Likes