Yamaha fretless - any input?

I found this in the classified ads:

It’s a Yamaha TRB 5 fretless (made in Japan) and that would be a cool companion to my fretted TRB 5Pii…

Of course, the guy is asking about USD 1350 for it, which I don’t have, but before I see how far he might come my way, I wanted to see if any of you had any experience with this bass, or heard anything more about it. Or what reasonable prices were…

Thanks!

5 Likes

I don’t know anything about fretless basses but the price sounds a little on the high side for a TRB 5 to me. That said, it’s beautiful! Probably plays like a dream too.

5 Likes

I love Yamahas, and love playing fretless, and that one looks like a beauty. It does seem a bit high priced though.

4 Likes

Looks bad ass. Picture makes it look orange, but it’s probably just a stain color ., but close.

Yeah, price seems kind of hard to swallow, and not sure even what a good price would be, but I always like throwing out numbers and see if they take. I would shoot for half that. In these times, being a buyers market, you never know.

4 Likes

I’m thinking about $1k-$1100 would be reasonable if it’s in good shape, looking at others.

That said there’s new basses I would rather have in that price range.

5 Likes

Yeah, I guess it is not that orange-y IRL :smile:

There aren’t too many of those on the market… I had a hard time finding some “references”. This is either because people like to hold on to them, or because there weren’t so many made!?!

For fretless basses? Which ones? I know there are some killer fretless Ibbys out there…

4 Likes

Oh no not fretless, I have no interest in fretless. I :heart: frets :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I didn’t know/expect fretless to be that much more expensive!?
So far I imagined them being easier to build because well… you don’t have to build frets into the neck.

Anyone care to help me out of my ignorance regarding fretless basses?

4 Likes

My guess is that they are a bit more expensive (on average) because they have a smaller market and thus fewer numbers are produced.

The one I am looking at is about 20-25 years old (my estimate) and was from the top of the line in the Yamaha product range back then (high quality materials, top-notch Japanese engineering/craftsmanship etc). But, there are certainly other factors that dictate prices… you could ask why Fenders are so expensive, for instance… :wink:

And, yes, I am aware that you can get much less expensive fretless basses, which are still quite good to very good, e.g., from Ibanez or even from Harley Benton.

4 Likes

Does the fretboard need to be superior since there are no frets to note the strings? Just a guess

4 Likes

Well, there’s indeed not many of those on the market. Found one on Reverb if you don’t mind blue :smiley:

4 Likes

Might be a more recent model though…

4 Likes

There’s no question that the TRB’s are great basses (much like your TRB II).

4 Likes

I think it’s not the exact model. I don’t know the differences but theres also a TRP-5 PII on sale and that one is more expensive: YAMAHA TRB5PII | Reverb

3 Likes

I only paid $450 for my Ibanez 5 sting fretless. A fretted version is not that much difference in price, so I don’t think just being fretless makes the price go through the roof.

I don’t believe there is anything “superior” in the construction of a fretless (I could be mistaken), it just requires a different type of playing to play one.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t think that there is a difference…

Thanks, @Krescht - that gives another price point as reference. No, I don’t think it is a newer model - they weren’t made anymore after ca 1998

4 Likes

Yes, this is a more recent model and a fretted bass… that is the one I have (well, that model, not the bass in the picture :grinning:)

Interesting to see what the asking price is… I did NOT pay that much for mine (guess I was lucky!).

4 Likes

Well, it’s got a photo with the model and serial number: TRB-5IIF.

5 Likes

Ah, yes, OK… I didn’t look too closely! Then it is a newer model (early 2000s or so). The older ones have a “cutaway” (or a shallower body) on the side away from the G string (if that makes any sense - see the photo in my original post - you can see what almost looks like a fracture going away from the neck pickup).

5 Likes

Well… depending on how long that thing is already on there the price might be overshot. There’s one offer on it and 7 observe the item so I guess no one wants to pay that much for it. Especially since it’s not in mint condition

Item description:

You probably still made a good deal when someone tries this as starting price. In my local ebay small ads section there’s a fretted one for 1500€ (~1670$).

Back to the actual topic you created: From what I’ve seen while looking for similiar models I think 1350$ (~1250€) is an acceptable price. Although hearing your talk in here and reading the descriptions on it I personally would be trying to find a model that is still continued and feels good to me because it seems to me a certain percentage of the price is due to availability of the model. You know… supply/demand stuff :wink:

I also noticed this one was owned by Leland Skar and sold for 2000$ - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-TRB-5P-5-String-Fretless-Bass-Guitar-Japan-Owned-by-Leland-Sklar-38836/184174048329 which seems like a bargain to me after looking him up on wikipedia.

Just my two cents after looking around a little bit on market places which you could certainly do yourself and I didn’t go into much detail. Thought you might be interested in my perspective anyway.

$ = USD

3 Likes