Yamaha RBX550 1987

Hey guys. I’m a newbie wanting to learn to play the bass. I was looking for intermediate used basses and happened to find this vintage one with the original hard case for 300 dollars. Is this a good second-hand price for this bass? Also, is it a good bass? Wasn’t able to find anything about this anywhere else. Thanks!

2 Likes

I think the RBX line in general is good. I do not know much about that specific model though.

However I do not see much value in it being “vintage”, and you can sometimes find used 2018-2019 TRBX504s and 604s in that price range, so unless there is something about that specific model that sets it apart, the price sounds pretty high to me.

Locally they seem to sell for about $90. That should be taken with a grain of salt though, as they are a domestic product here.

4 Likes

Welcome aboard @akshayaku
Enjoy the ride, nothing wrong with Yamaha basses I still have my first bass ,
Yamaha RBX 200 that I wouldn’t part with :+1:
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

You could share a pic of your new family member :+1:
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @akshayaku.

I’m a Yamaha fan so I’d say it’s a good bass. Whether or not it’s a good BUY is another question. I’m not familiar with that particular model, but it does seem a bit high for a used one.

2 Likes

Here’s one on Reverb for $320, so maybe you’re not getting such a bad deal after all.

1 Like

Looks like the ones that sold were $80-$110 here.

MIJ Yamaha, so it will be really high quality, but a basic passive bass where “vintage” only really means “old” - not sure if they are rare in the US but $300 definitely seems steep to me.

Hard case is a nice touch though, so figure that’s a third of the cost. Makes it slightly more reasonable, but for 300 bones I’d hold out for a nice used late-model BB434 or TRBX504/604.

3 Likes

When I get back to Tokyo @howard,
I think you will have to take me shopping.
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

hehe anytime :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks guys! I am still seeing if there are cheaper options as well. I am not able to find many second hand options. No one’s getting any stock due to the pandemic. :confused:

1 Like

I did find a Jackson C20 Concert Bass Tobacco Sunburst on Reverb for $238(including shipping). Any thoughts on whether this is a good model and a good price? I’ve not heard of many brands before so finding it hard to decide.

1 Like