Yamaha TRBX 304

This is funny for me because it would never even occur to me to leave the bass plugged in, ever. I even unplug it if I need to take a quick break. It’s like, of course I am going to unplug it, otherwise there would be a cable there to trip on (and I would :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Same, and because I run my cord thru the strap, it can get awkward just taking the bass off if you leave it in, if you walked a few circles and all.
I don’t always pick the same bass back up either, so 1/2 the work is already done if I unplug.

2 Likes

I guess unplugging at every break is not the worst habit to get into, as long as you remember to mute/power off the amp first :japanese_ogre:

2 Likes

I’m so paranoid about tripping over cables and it’s even worse if our bulldog pup is having a mad minute. I’ve looked at going cableless but I’m not 100% convinced that the affordable options would be any good

2 Likes

I don’t use use cables, I’m wireless so the issue of tripping up etc. is not applicable to me.

4 Likes

That’s lucky, but still get battery drain in active basses, and in any pedals you use batteries in. I don’t, but some do.

3 Likes

Quick question for my fellow TRBX 304 owners: according to the Yamaha website, the factory strings are D’Addario EXL170SL. The SL stands for extra long scale, but as far as I know, the TRBX is a regular long scale (34") bass. Does it really need extra long scale strings, or do “normal” long scale strings (i.e. EXL170) fit just as well?

4 Likes

Normal long strings should work, but it’s better to trim some off the leads than coming up short stringed.

4 Likes

I bought standard “Long Scale” Strings when I replaced the factory strings and they fit just fine

5 Likes

Absolutely, but the SL type is about 30% more expensive, and I don’t want to pay that extra money just to have more string length to cut off and throw away :wink:

Great, thanks for the confirmation!

4 Likes

Sometimes the longer strings come in slightly different gauges also, and if that it closer to what you prefer, it might still be worthwhile to spend a little extra :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

In this case I am pretty sure it was a typo. I replaced mine with normal length without issue on both my 304 and 604.

There’s actually a reason to not use strings longer than appropriate for your bass - if the strings have a taper section, they will not taper in time for the turners if the strings are too long. So I would actually avoid the extra-longs for the 304, not seek them out.

6 Likes

In this case the previous owner put lighter strings on it, and the highest two are getting stuck in their nut slots. Because of that I want to replace them with factory spec strings. But thanks for the tip!

That goes for you as well, @howard! I was already hoping you’d share your personal experience :slightly_smiling_face: Any brand/type of strings you like in particular on this bass?

2 Likes

I love the D’Addario nickel rounds - the EXLs Yamaha recommends are great! just not the extra long scales.

EXL165 and EXL170’s are my favorite.

3 Likes

Great, thanks! I was also looking at the D’Addarios, so I’ll order the EXL170’s.

1 Like

Basically my favorite strings :slight_smile:

1 Like

Another question: does anybody know the Allen/hex key size needed to adjust the truss rod? I tried 4 mm, which is too small and 5 mm, which is too large. Guess it must be either 4.5 mm or some weird Imperial size :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Which bass again?? :wink:

UPDATE: D’oh… should have read the title of the thread :crazy_face: :joy:

1 Like

@Mike_NL 4.5 mm = 11/64 inches if that helps . . . :thinking:

Cheers

1 Like

Yeah, I want to sell off a few of my basses I am not using, and that are worth more then enough to do what I want to do as a project.

The first, the Mold Smoothie, an SBMM modded Ray4 to replicate the EBMM 40th anniversary Old Smoothie. Nice thing is the color on the Ray4 is close to the color on the EBMM old smoothie, so this mod actually will fool those if you want to.

Next is the Mint-O-RAY. Another $299 SBMM Ray 4, modded with Darkglass pre-amp, and diandrio pick up (IIRC, I will change if it is wrong), and some aesthetic changes to get all black hardware.
The Pre-amp and pick up, being the most expensive of the bunch, really does not give this the classic stingray sound, which most of the others can with variations, but I love the black hardware and painted control panel to give this the feel of the all new cool colors they have been releasing with black hardware, and I just can’t stop thinking about the black hardware.
The Sterling red Ray4 might be a good contender for this upgrade and asthetic modifications, to make it look OH SOOOOOOOO SEXY

2 Likes