Yamaha TRBX 304

Hey Everyone,
So I’m starting to think I might need (want) an active bass. I notice Josh’s review of the TRBX 304 (which I believe is a couple years old) says it’s $350 but Yamaha shows it as $550. So, does anybody know if they made upgrades or simply raised the price?

7 Likes

Yahama’s list price is just listed high. They are ~$350 new.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=trbx304

Highly recommend them too, I did the course with one and it’s a fantastic bass.

6 Likes

That’s an awesome bass. I had ordered one from Guitar Center when I started the course last year, but they were on back order. I eventually cancelled that order and purchased the Yamaha BB235 instead. I personally don’t care for active basses because of the battery issues, but I’m sure the TRBX 304 will suit you well.

3 Likes

Welcome @doylecb
Nice bass for the first of your collection and trust me once you start playing you’ll want a collection :joy:

3 Likes

@Mac it appears that you are inviting him over to the GAS and MBD threads :rofl: :smiley_cat:

3 Likes

Don’t trust him, he’s leading you astray! :grin:

5 Likes

Welcome to the community @doylecb!

2 Likes

Why should he be spared @PamPurrs ? :joy::joy::joy:

7 Likes

@PamPurrs I know we mentioned this on the zoom meeting this week but for others reading- Once you get used to unplugging the jack when not in use the batteries last for ages, I learned my lesson in the first couple of weeks of playing :roll_eyes: but now a battery lasts me for months!

5 Likes

@Bandit yes, that is true, but you always have to remember to unplug, and I’m rather lazy about that. My Ibanez fretless is active, and whenever I practice with it, I have to remember to unplug :japanese_goblin:

5 Likes

Thanks Everybody! I have only been playing for 7 months and at this point I’m still resisting GAS… but asking questions and online research does seem dangerous… I am learning on a Squire CV jazz but the idea of active is dangerously intriguing.

5 Likes

Welcome Aboard @doylecb,
enjoy the ride.
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Welcome @doylecb.
Don’t listen to these guys, GAS and MDB is a huge myth. I am sure @JoshFossgreen must have busted that one by now.

Says the guy with 6 basses in plain sight from where I am sitting, 5 active, and I have yet to change a battery.
I play them all daily, but I unplug every time.

2 Likes

I think unplugging, even if a passive bass, is a good idea anyway as I found out when I got lazy after getting the passive bass and leaving the cable plugged in. Came back later, tripped on the cable and was lucky not to damage the bass :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Agreed

1 Like

Before I drop money on a bass, I was going to hire one for a few months and see if bass is for me. The only problem is that prices have soared recently and the 304 I had my eye on is almost double the price of the Yamaha 174 which is my second choice.

Should I hold out for the 304 or go for the lesser 174?

2 Likes

Hi @Nemesis44UK,
I would go for what feels nice in your hands, the bass will tell you👍
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Based on playing the 174, I would hold out for the 304. I have not played the 304, but I know it is well loved, and the 174 felt a little on the cheap side.

Another great bass to choose that is still on the less expensive side is the Ibanez SR250. They go around $299 or $349 and are very nice basses as well. It does not feel on the cheap side, it feels really well made, as I am sure the Yamaha 304 does. The 174 leaves some to be desired, but that is my experience, I think others have the 174 and like it much.

5 Likes

Unfortunately, this isn’t a bricks and mortar shop, so it will be sight unseen. I won’t get a chance to try them out.

3 Likes

I have two active basses and as much as I love em both, they can be a paid in the arse.
If you want to have a break for any length of time you need to remember to unplug otherwise it speeds up the battery flattening process and because I hate the noise it makes when you unplug from your bass whilst the amp is on you have to turn it of as well.
With my passive, you just walk away and leave it as it.
Small things but if you’re OCD in any way, it might piss you off more than you can imagine.

4 Likes