Yamaha TRBX174 replacement tuning machines?

starting to get annoyed with the wiggly and unstable stock tuners on my TRBX174 - what is a reasonable brand/model of tuner replacement? and, what is the size of tuner i am looking for for this bass?

2 Likes

I have noticed this mostly on the E string on mine. I’ll be interested in what people suggest for this.

2 Likes

A quick Google shows Gotoh GB707 Compact tuners will work with a TRBX 174. Amazon sells them. Other places, too, I’m sure.

3 Likes

i guess to be more clear i think what i am asking is: what is the measurement i am looking for that will fit my bass? is it the peg diameter? bore? and then i assume a screw hole pattern? can i put non-compact tuners on? i can pull one of the tuners off and measure but im not sure what i am measuring for. and then also what is considered a good brand? do not want to replace mediocre hardware with other mediocre hardware.

1 Like

Gotoh makes good quality tuners.

For a different brand, contact Hipshot.

Hipshot makes licensed and USA-made tuning machines and they can answer all your questions.

3 Likes

Like everything…depends

Bore matters if you don’t want to bore it bigger. Slightly smaller can be accommodated but too small no dice. I’ve used Teflon tape to make up a mm or so. So bore generally matters.
Post has to fit in the bore but bore is based on ferrule dimension not post. Measure bore and look for ferrules that fit. You will need a round something you can hit with a hammer to get the ferrule out. It’s fairly easy.
Screw holes matter if you don’t want to drill, you most likely will have to. Fender and a few other brands have direct swap offerings from other mfg’s but not much else. Covering existing holes is a plus.

Yes, pull it off. It’s fine. Get a caliper on Amazon. It’s worth it.

Gotoh, Hipshot, are my faves.
Grover Schaller are good too

4 Likes

I agree with @MikeC ,
I replaced the tuners on my Yamaha rbx 200
With Gotoh tuners, simple swap out👍
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

To answer your original question I would say to try contacting Yamaha parts department directly and ask them about other tuners. I have always found them to be very cooperative and price competitive on parts
BUT
Purchasing a set of good tuners that are costing 1/3 the price of the Bass you have seems a bit radical to me. Then if you upgrade the pickups you have just doubled the initial cost of the Bass.

If it was me and I was planning on sticking with playing Bass I would seriously consider upgrading the Bass. You have other options in the TRBX lineup if you like Yamaha. The TRBX304 and TRBX504 come to mind.

2 Likes

Great point @Al1885 ! The 504 would be my solve here

4 Likes

totally get what you are saying and of course that makes perfect sense.

but, if i wanted to spend money rationally and logically, i would not have gotten into bass :joy:. i want to upgrade the tuners as much for the experience of doing so as well as having them work better, so to me around $50 or so is not that big of a deal. however i will not spend what looks like at least $120+ for hipshots.

4 Likes

TRBX174 seems like a fine bass to mod if you love the thing and go in understanding that modding doesn’t really increase resale value much.

4 Likes

Good tuners aren’t cheap.
Go big or stay home on modding is my thought.

4 Likes

I own both.
Big upgrade in the electronics on the 504 IMHO.

1 Like

Absolutely correct. Either do it, or don’t.

Again, Gotoh makes quality tuners. They are a good option.

But if you like your bass, and you want to cure its problem, ante up the bread and buy once, cry once.

2 Likes

Isn’t that the truth :rofl:

When I upgraded from the 304 to the 504 I looked at modding the 304 but it was just not worth it in my opinion. Now the 304 is my backup Bass.

I think modding is a whole different realm unto itself and that is all well and fine as long as you realize it can be a very deep, and expensive, rabbit hole to go down. You seem to have a handle on this aspect though. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Top notch, yeah. Potentially better than Hipshot.

2 Likes

The part price to bass price ratio can work both ways. If a cheap bass has a good fretboard, weight and color … I’m fine doubling the cost with upgrades and ending up with nicer parts than would be on a mid-priced bass.

2 Likes

The absolute no question about best tuners I have ever experienced are on my ‘72 Rick.

Kluson. Smoothest dreamiest there are.

No idea I’d they are still as outstanding but man, these are.

Anyone know?
@Al1885 ?

https://www.kluson.com/tuning-machines.html

4 Likes

I replaced the tuners on my Sire U5 with Hipshot USA Ultralites for $120+. They are totally worth it to me and make a great bass better.

I have Gotoh tuners on an acoustic steel-string guitar that was handmade for me years ago. They are great tuners.

2 Likes

Wow, they have a lot of varieties to sort out!

1 Like