Yamaha TRBX204 4 String Bass Guitar

Some years ago I bought a Yamaha 5-string used, and right now it’s my only bass. I do enjoy the rumble of the low B string, but as a novice I’m thinking it might be better to keep things simple, so I’ve been thinking hard about adding a (budget) 4-string. The BassBuzz reviewers loved the Yamaha TRBX304. I just looked at the website of a store in my area, and I see they have a display model of the TRBX204 for 300 bucks. I figure it’s gotta be pretty close, right?
https://chucklevins.com/collections/bass-guitars/products/yamaha-trbx204-4-string-bass-guitar

2 Likes

I’ve owned a couple Yammies and can attest they are great basses. I’m not familiar with that particular model, but I can say, you can’t go wrong with Yamaha.
@howard knows more about Yammies than I do, and he might be familiar with that model.

2 Likes

I don’t know anything about it but I’m sure it’s an excellent entry level bass.

3 Likes

ceramic pickups…hmmm. I don’t know a lot about ceramic pickups for bass.

4 Likes

They are fine. In fact better in some ways for certain tones. Just like on guitar.

Plenty of high end ceramic pickups. In fact you might want to check your EMG’s, they make a ton.

3 Likes

Welcome aboard @beacon7712 ,
My first bass was a Yammie RBX 200 , an entry level bass.
It is a great bass, i don’t think you can go wrong with a Yammie either.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

I have a 304 and 504. Fantastic Basses.
That $300 is $184 below MSRP.
I think you should go for it.

3 Likes

My 304 has ceramic pickups.
The 504 has alnico which was one of the upgrades.

1 Like

The TRBX204 is the active version of the TRBX174 (which is a great bass) with 2 band EQ and PJ pickups and a bit more of a thicker neck. The 304 has double humbuckers and an EQ with a 5 way selector switch (which im not a fan of) and has more of a modern tone like a stingray.

Which you pick will mostly depend on personal preference. Personally, i’d rather have the 204 or go up to at least the TRBX504 which has better pickups, better EQ and passive/active switch vs the 304.

Here’s a review on them https://youtu.be/9LnhtzLZvis

2 Likes

In general, ceramic magnets are stronger and cheaper than alnico magnet so you either see them in cheap pickups or really hot guitar pickups. Ceramic pickups use a bar magnet across the bottom of the pole pieces, alnico pickups use individual magnetized pole pieces. Ceramic pickups have a good, thick tone with strong mids but usually lack the cleaner highs vs alnico.

5 Likes

Had a 4-string Yamaha Iike that, but just p-bass pup configuration. It was a very solid bass. It stayed in tune and the truss rod was easy to adjust (usually just seasonal adjustments for dryness in winter and humidity in summer). The neck was slim, fast, and comfortable. I had flats on it: Chromes. Played it through one of the first Fender Rumbles (the one with the red lights that blinked to the beat……I played in a church band and they used to call it the “Holy Spirit” lights!) and I could easily get a clean deep bass as well as a more trebly “lead bass” sound. I don’t slap so I have no idea how that would have sounded on it. I would love to find one that is Fretless……I’d definitely buy one again.
I’d you buy it, you will be happy with it.

3 Likes

I took the plunge. Went to the store yesterday and paid $285. For the money, I think it’s going to be really good. Thanks for the encouragement.

3 Likes

9637640ee87497908967c17c9779d2e5

2 Likes

Great! You really can’t go wrong with Yamaha basses. If you’d outgrow it, it would probably be a great modding platform later on.

2 Likes

Good for you. Most people just waffle and then when they decide discover that the Bass has been sold.
You’ll know pretty quickly if it works for you… Choosing a Bass is such a personal thing it is hard to give advice but as others have said it’s hard to go wrong with a Yamaha. :+1:

What are you using for an amp?

2 Likes

I only waffle when I know I probably shouldn’t buy it… I’m like “well, if it’s still there in a week, I was meant to have it” :joy:

1 Like

For gigs (we’ve got one in two weeks, yikes!), I just got a Hartke 500-watt 2x10, and on the recommandations I’ve seen elsewhere on this site, I ordered a Bass Preacher compressor that just arrived today. Haven’t even had a chance to twiddle the knobs yet! My practice amp is a 160-watt Rogue that I bought a couple years ago for about 80 bucks.

4 Likes

Nice.
Let the drummer try and drown you out now :slightly_smiling_face:
Can you connect an external speaker cab?