Yamaha TRBX305 or 505?

Hello, fellow bass players.
I’ve been looking for a 5-string bass that’s all white for a while now, and I just found two great holiday specials, and I’m about to pull the trigger. The TRBX305 is going for $361, and the TRBX505 for $504.
Yes, it’s more about the looking than anything else :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
And, yes. I want a 5-string :crazy_face:
Is it worth paying an extra $140 for the TRBX505?
Can anybody share their experiences with both models?
Thank you in advance

1 Like

Absolutely

I had a 304 and I love that but I’d go for 504 any day.

3 Likes

Calling @Celticstar

2 Likes

Doesn’t the 505 have an active/passive switch? I would go for that for the extra flexibility.

2 Likes

I’ve attended multiple lectures by Professor @Howard of the Online College of Yamahology Knowledge, and I believe that 505 is the correct answer. :man_student:

5 Likes

Indeed. You can learn about this in my TED talk.

2 Likes

I tried the TRBX 504 for a few weeks and loved it. I didn’t like the translucent white finish on mine, but that’s personal preference. I wish they had a matte, non-translucent finish.

As @ejwong said, the 500 series has an active passive switch, the 300 series has different preamp settings.

Personally, I think that the 500 series is much better for long term playing - you dial in your tone, you’re not going to use the preamp switch of the 300 series much. If it was a pickup/coil selector switch, maybe… :thinking:

Cheers,
Antonio

PS: Now you made me think I should get one, too! :laughing:

5 Likes

I loved my 604. I would also not rule out 604’s, if a nice one comes along.

1 Like

This TBH.
I did have a 504 and absolutely loved it! Barely even needed any setting up straight out of the box!
but I ended up having to sell it :confused:, cos life things happened :sweat_smile:

(although next on the list is actually a Vintage V49 Coaster Series, cos it’s crazy cheap, & I already know the Alan Entwhistle pickups are a solid choice lol)

2 Likes

I own both the Yamaha TRBX304 and 504 basses.
I have no experience regarding Yamaha 5 string basses.

I purchased a Yamaha TRBX504 shortly after the TRBX304 and do not regret it.
The differences are that the 504 has alnico pick ups, active electronics, an active/passive selection switch, and I believe a different active electronics circuit.

Keep in mind that my basses are both 4 string basses but I would think that the Yamaha 305 and 505 5 string basses follow the same parameters.

So, to answer the OP’s original question, IMHO, these differences more than make up for the cost difference between the 305 and 505 so I would pick the TRBX505.

Here is a link you may be interested in on the differences.:

I hope this helps :+1:

2 Likes

I own a TRBX 505. I like the string spacing, which is narrower than most 4 string basses. The almost flat fingerboard feels okay, but not great.
However, I’m quite sure that the body is identical between 305 and 505. If I had to choose based on appearance, the 605 series color schemes would win easily.
If you don’t want to mod your instrument, as someone already mentioned, the active/passive switch is already worth the difference :smile:

Thank you for all replies. I’ll get the trbx505, as everyone recommended. Hopefully will arrive before Christmas.

2 Likes

UPDATE: While I was shopping for it, I had it in my GuitarCenter app shopping cart, and the price was $599. Then I found it at TheMusicFarm.com for the $504 price. So the next day, GC called me and asked if they could help me decide to buy. I told the lady I was going to order from a different store because I found it for a much better price. She didn’t even ask where I found cheaper; she just asked how much it was, and she ended up giving me a deal for $10 less than the competition with free shipping. That was great!!! Expected delivery date 12/21/2023

4 Likes

That’s great, the best of all possible outcomes. Congrats on making the deal. :+1:

1 Like

Thank you, brother

1 Like

Result! You’ll love it! :+1:

My Christmas present. Love it

7 Likes

I’ve been playing with this bass for the last hour and I love it. Perfect setup and action right out of the box. I Should have gotten a 5 strings long time ago.

3 Likes

You got a good one! The 505 is a great instrument. I love the finishes on them too.

1 Like