Yikes, I’ve got an audition!

Wow, sounds like you’ve really put in a lot of work! Learning 30-40 songs in such a short time is very impressive. You got this!

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve regularly put in two or three hours per day, 5 or 6 days a week.

Besides the sheer quantity of songs, there’s also the fact that they’re covering everything from funk to classic rock to modern country and more. This effectively means I’ve got to learn to play bass like Paul McCartney, John McVie, Stu Cook, “Duck” Dunn, Tommy Cogbill… to name just a few!

It’s been great, though, for pushing me to play different lines in different ways than I would ever think of. Granted, I “cheat” by playing some stuff with a pick or thumb that I’m fairly certain would’ve been played with two fingers, and sometimes I drop a note or two in order to simply things. (I’m, literally, not up to speed with my alternating plucking, and some ghost notes will just have to be sacrificed, R.I.P.) But, I’m working toward a truly “authentic” if not 100% accurate rendition of every song.

Which reminds me to say, UG has been an invaluable tool for learning and then practicing songs. (No, I’m not becoming a slave to the tab, but it’s immensely helpful in seeing exactly what’s happening and analyzing the song structure and musical/physical movements involved.)

6 Likes

I love UG too. It’s great for analyzing songs. I always solo the guitar, bass and drums tabs of a song.

2 Likes

I usually put the the drums, bass and vocals at 100%, with the guitars and keys low but not muted.

3 Likes

I get the nervous aspects of all this, I still get nervous before gigs.

As for the audition, try to relax, be as prepared as you can, and even if it doesn’t go well use it as a learning experience. If you don’t get it try to find out why, what was lacking, what was wrong. It’ll be a way to turn a bad experience into a useful one.

And remember, they asked you so that’s a good start. Good luck!

3 Likes

For those on the edges of their seats, here’s a mini-update:

The TLDR: I audition tomorrow.

The dramatic version: It’s been about a month since the band leader first called. With the audition having been pushed back a few times for various reasons, I was getting antsy and was even starting to entertain offers from other groups, but I also wanted to honor my first commitment.
So, get this: The bandleader texts me, “Hey, can I call?” I’m thinking OK, I get it… Their old bassist is back, or they’ve found someone else; either way, I’ve just “wasted” a month of intense practicing. I was commiserating with my wife, “maybe it’s for the best, yadda, yadda…” and meanwhile waiting and waiting for the call. Finally, the phone rings. He says, “Hey, sorry… First, thanks for the time you’ve already invested, but… The band’s had a lot going on…” I’m cool, just waiting for the axe to fall. “So, about tomorrow… The band isn’t going to be able to get together. Can you just do the audition at my house with me and the lead singer?” :joy: Wait, what?! Oh, yeah, sure.

So, I audition — in a much lower pressure setting — tomorrow! :rofl:

13 Likes

The bandleader sounds like a decent guy. Good luck with your audition tomorrow! Break a leg :metal:

4 Likes

Best of luck

Go have fun!! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

don’t forget the bass

5 Likes

Holy crapola! No advice to offer, but congrats, bravo, break a leg. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Don’t keep us in suspense! :popcorn:

2 Likes

2 Likes

:drum::drum::drum::drum::drum:

Well, the audition went pretty well…

I made a few mistakes but nothing an audience would likely notice and certainly nothing they’d remember after the show. I think for this being my first audition ever (yeah) and having just started playing bass in late January of this year (yep), I’d have to consider it a success.

The band leader was, I think, happy, but he wears a pretty stiff game face, so I can’t tell if he’s quietly impressed or politely disappointed. The lady singer was more outwardly complimentary — pleased and maybe even somewhat impressed, I’d say.

A couple of highlights:

They played one song (“Exes and Ohs”) in a totally different key than I’d rehearsed, and I had to take a wild guess as to wear to play the chorus, which requires (in this case, especially) a huge leap of faith from part way up the neck down to the lower register. Still, I pulled it off pretty smoothly — flawlessly after the first blind attempt.

My hands were unusually sweaty (from nerves, I guess), so the jump from the low end to WAY up the neck for that solo bass part in “All Right Now” was a sticky wicket, so to speak. And it goes on forever!!!

Other tunes went well. I was able to really lock in and jam out on a few. I watched the guitar player’s right hand for timing cues since we were drummer-less (and they decided not to use a drum machine). We played about two hours, and they never said “please, stop, you’re killing us,” so…

Anyway, I should hear back from the dude later this week, but — get this — only as to when I can expect a full-band audition. So, I’m not quite through jumping hurdles. But it’s better having gotten this out of the way. I feel like I can relax for the next 10 days (that’s when the “real” audition is likely to take place), and I now know that I, more or less, did my best.

Thanks to everyone for your support and interest! :pray:t2::pray:t2::pray:t2:

14 Likes

Congrats!

2 Likes

awesome! congrats!

2 Likes

nice, congratulations!

2 Likes

Way to go @thebanjoplayer, I’m glad it went well. Congrats.

3 Likes

And that’s enough. Even if they decide to “go in a different direction”, you know you did your part.

Congratulations and I look forward to reading how the next phase goes.

3 Likes

Way to go

2 Likes

outstanding

2 Likes