Yikes, I’ve got an audition!

Sounds like you gave your best and there was some positive response. So even if you don’t end up getting the gig it was still a success.

3 Likes

Awesome! And yes, as you and others have said: this is already a success, whether you are accepted or not :facepunch:t3:

3 Likes

Update of sorts:
I just had another mini-audition this evening — with a different band. Let me explain…

I have a profile up on Bandmix, and a couple of weeks ago it got another bite from a local cover band doing mostly ‘70s hard rock. They’re looking for someone who will be committed solely to their group, so I was totally upfront with them about my other audition, which they were cool with. Still, we decided it was worth meeting because you never know who you will hit it off with, and personally, I thought maybe the material would actually be a better fit. And since I’m still not sure this first opportunity will pan out, I thought it was better not to put all my eggs in a single (as yet uncertain) basket.

So, I was given a set list earlier this week of 40 or so songs. (They mostly seemed easy-ish, a lot of pounding eighth notes, mostly 1-4-5 chord structures.) We didn’t set an audition date and there weren’t any priority songs; I thought it was just a sampling of the stuff they play. Then, this morning I get a message saying, “How about tonight? And here are the 8 songs we will run through.” Oh, OK. So, I spent what time I could at work peeking at the UG tabs and quickly realized that about half of the 8 were way more complicated than I’d realized. Uh-oh!

I arrived at the drummer’s house and was warmly greeted. We set up and got going. I was obviously WAY underprepared, but the guitarist (and drummer to some extent) were patient and understanding. They were pretty chill and would stop and say, “This is where it goes bum, bum, buh-bum,” and I’d more or less nail it after that — at least on the tunes I was more familiar with.

But here’s where it gets weird — and where I’d love to hear everyone’s feedback:

The drummer several times said stuff like, “Is that [my Gretsch SS] your only bass? ‘Cause I like a full-scale bass.” And, “I like to see a bass player with a Fender Precision or Jazz bass.” And, “I really like a five-string.”

It was at that point that I knew this was a dead end. I wasn’t the guy he was looking for, and I wasn’t willing to basically become someone else just to win his approval. But I kept playing, of course. And he kept explaining between every song that “the bass is really important in rock music” and such as that.

Now, I figured, OK, they realize I’m an amateur and not up the task. Fine, I’ll go soon. But no, they want me to return! They’re like, “Learn these 8 songs really well and come back in a week or so when our other band members can meet you.

In my head, I was already writing the “thanks, but no thanks” email I would (and did) send as soon as I got out of there; meanwhile, they’re saying, “definitely come back!”

Really confusing!

So, I guess I’m left wondering a few things:

1. Have you ever had someone (outside a studio setting) suggest that you’re playing the “wrong” kind of bass? And how did you respond?
  2. What do you make of a couple of guys who hear you at your suckiest and yet somehow want to follow up?

For the record, they’ve got some legit gigs coming up, and they sounded good, so it’s not like they’re a beginner band. In fact, they are secretly auditioning to replace their bassist whom they say has “plateaued musically.”

Also, side note: One of the clues that I’m not the guy is their insistence that every note be just like the recording, which isn’t really how I roll. (The drummer said, “I don’t like a bass player who doesn’t play all the fills. I don’t like one that just plays up to the 7th fret.” As you can tell, he had a lot to say about proper bass playing.)

1 Like

Think it was Josh who said "no one is ever mad if you bring a P"so yeah, guess it’s a thing

They don’t have a bass player, and they need one. I’m not terrific but am still the best one on my street

3 Likes

Lols. This guy sounds like a right muppet.

5 Likes

I’m the best one in my house, that’s all I can say for certain!

4 Likes

I don’t know, @thebanjoplayer… If this drummer is already nagging you about your bass, he’s probably not likely to stop once you join their band. Also, the fact that they are apparently looking for a different bass player behind their current bass player’s back is kind of a red flag for me.

6 Likes

Exactly what Mike_NL just said. I know nothing about bands etc but know plenty about group dynamics to see that this isn’t a great gig. If the drummer is so in to telling you what to do and how to be, he should play bass himself. And secretly auditioning for a new bassist is indeed a red flag-- if they’re treating their existing band mate like that, it’s not a good sign for how you will be treated.

2 Likes

Ask him what drum samples and trigger software he plans to use when you record, since miking his kit is gonna sound like shit in comparison unless you get a pro.

2 Likes

Aren’t you overthinking this a bit too much? It sounds to me that they try to help and don’t mind if you screw up. That they let you come back is already your answer.

The drummer is entitled to an opinion. He probably likes the sound of a P bass. For all we know he is more thinking about the overall sound or maybe he tried to start a convo. Don’t assume the worst unless you know him a bit better.

Also stop worrying about what others might think about you or your gear. Just focus on what you want to achieve first. Feeling uncomfortable is not a bad thing. If your goal is to play in a band you should just give this a go and see how it works out.

Just go with the flow :v:

2 Likes

Remember that you’re auditioning the band as much as they’re auditioning you.

Do you like the music?
Is there a good atmosphere when they play together?
Will you gell with their personalities?
Do your goals align?

I’d do the second session with them but I’d be thinking more about whether I wanted to play with them and whether I could grow with them than if I could change to fit in with what they want/need.

2 Likes

Well, it sounds like he knows exactly what he is looking for. Maybe he finds the player that matches his expectations exactly, or maybe he has to adjust a bit. It wouldn’t bother me if asked to bring a different bass, after all, they are auditioning you and not your instrument. I would learn the 8 songs and go back, I think the first meeting where no one knows each other and has never played together is going to be awkward. This guy may in fact be a muppet as @Barney suggests, or he may continue to nag you as @Mike_NL brings up, but you won’t know that until you spend a little more time with the band. In any case, good or bad, I think this is great experience for you. You should be proud just for showing up.

3 Likes

If they secretly look to replace an existing band mate behind his back that would be a really big NO for me…

3 Likes

Well yeah, but Paul Dianno, Clive Burr, David Lee Roth, Dave Mustane, Jason Newstead, Rob Zombie, Trent Reznor (although the latter two replaced their whole bands out of the blue, rather than the other way around). It depends on the circumstances.

@MC-Canadastan Personally I prefer to spend my time with people I enjoy being around - but then again I’m not interested in having a career in music.

3 Likes

Totally agree. I just thought there may be some unknowns there.

2 Likes

if your soul isnt comfortable,move on. Still, you need a Pbass, A fender, A 5 String, and can use a pick …lol. Go with your gut, it left already

1 Like

I know it’s been somewhat confusing and convoluted, but remember the first band, the one that started me on this journey, the one I did an enjoyable and successful mini-audition for with just the bandleader and female vocalist? Well, tonight is (finally!) the full-band audition.

I quickly passed on the other band (the one with an opinionated drummer); I just didn’t feel comfortable with those guys, and… I’ve realized that I prefer a mixed-genre playlist, as opposed to their set list of purely hard rock. (It makes sense because I listen to a broad range of music.)

I’m looking forward to the audition. I’ve practiced a ton and feel prepared. And, from what I know of them so far, these are people I could enjoy working with. No matter what, I’m definitely hungry to know the final answer, whether I’m in or out.

Wishing myself good luck!

15 Likes

Break a leg @thebanjoplayer, wishing you luck too

2 Likes

get some!

2 Likes