You Know You’re NOT a Professional Bassist When

Never Heard of that one before @kwt7667… But then again, I was never on a nuc sub - just old post WWII ones with diesel engines and batteries. No one cared about how big, small, skinny or fat you were… Back then, they were accepting anyone who could twiddle their thumbs for two minutes without stopping…:joy::joy:

Actually, during the cold war, the Navy was begging enlistees to volunteer for submarine duty - it also paid more because ot was considered “Hazardous Duty”…

3 Likes

This was back in 1984, and I don’t think they were building Diesel Electrics anymore. But, I knew about the old diesel boats. Man, I bet the air quality on those things was horrible with the batteries, diesel, and oil. They were sure interesting to me. I read all of Edward L. Beach’s books about WWII submarines.

Thank you for your service sir. My son enlisted this year, finished A School, and just began his new job as a QM on an LHD.

5 Likes

GO NAVY!! My daughter was stationed on a Helicopter Carrier back in the late 90’s. Her husband (my son in law) retired from the Navy last year. He was a Corpsman (Medic) stationed with the Marines. Twenty years in the Navy and never at sea - only stationed and deployed with the Marine Infantry units.

I’m sure you’re a proud Navy dad! The Navy does offer some of the best training.

7 Likes

I sure am! I didn’t join back in '84, and that’s ok. He’s a better sailor than I would have been. That’s the thing about having a kid, sometimes they are just a improvement on the old model.

I have a co-worker who was in the Navy for some 16 years or so, and she also married Navy, retired DC. It seems to be a big family over there!

2 Likes

You’re a cool Navy dad @kwt7667… You’re son should be proud…

2 Likes