Your Local Guitar/Bass/Music store

Hi All
This thread was inspired by another thread looking for advice on buying a bass.
It touched on something that you cannot get from an online shop and that is how the bass feels in your hands, how the neck feels etc
I am forever looking at basses in online stores but it can be risky if you don’t know exactly what you are buying.
The best place to buy a bass (or any instrument) if you are not 100% sure is your local music shop.
I am lucky to have a very good, old school guitar shop in a town nearby and at the weekend I am going to see if I can get over there and try out a few basses to see how they feel and get some advice from the guys there.
Do you have a local store or do you have to rely on the internet for your purchases?
I think it would be nice to give a shout out to our local, trusted music shops. (if this is allowed on the forum)
You will miss them when they are gone!

5 Likes

I purchase from both, @studio . . . :slight_smile:

I live about 25 minutes from a “Guitar Center” in Virginia Beach, VA. They are a chain store with many locations, and sell supplies, lessons, etc. As I suggested to @brandoncmurphy, I was able to try a similar model of the bass guitar I wanted to purchase, but which they did not have in stock.

I also traded in my Rumble 25 for a Rumble 100 at that store.

Cheers, Joe

4 Likes

I bought two of my basses off ebay and two more off facebook marketplace.
I used to buy equipment from music shops many years ago, back when I played guitar, but better deals can be had online these days, so now I only go in for accessories, and to have a browse.

3 Likes

Well name it then :+1:

2 Likes

I have emailed them to see if they can get the Zoom B1Xon effects pedal.

1 Like

@Mark_D There is a link in the first post of this thread

1 Like

They’ll get it off ebay for fifty four quid, and then stick twenty on top and sell it on to you :joy:

You are awful, but I like you

2 Likes

Alright, fifteen then . . .

1 Like

Oh ok soz I didn’t spot that.

Here you go :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok, so my local music store. It’s not actually a store. It’s a district. It’s called Ochanomizu.

There’s a street there with dozens of musical instrument shops and one of the best selections of guitars in the world. ESP’s custom shop is there, as is their music college. There’s some small and ridiculously high end stores, some large chains, and a whole mix in between. If you ever visit Tokyo, you absolutely have to go.

Someone did a census once and there are more than 4500 basses on display any given day in these few blocks.

https://www.guitarplayer.com/guitaraficionado/tokyo-offers-possibly-the-greatest-selection-of-guitars-on-earth

That said - I just go there to ogle beautiful basses. I actually buy online. Though I almost bought a bass last time I went, it’s dangerous :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Gotta love Tokyo :smile:

4 Likes

I’ve never been.
I was just looking at photos of the place, and thinking how much I’d like to go there on as visit.

3 Likes

Should I tell them they can get it on amazon for under £50? Maybe they will give me a discount when they resell it to me

1 Like

Maybe you should just get it from Amazon yourself?

I never do things the simple way if there is a convoluted, difficult and expensive alternative.

2 Likes

@Mark_D and @studio: we may have found our own Statler and Waldorf for the forum :grin:

5 Likes

:crazy_face:

2 Likes

Fukin funny :joy:

3 Likes