Your Local Guitar/Bass/Music store

@Mark_D There is a link in the first post of this thread

1 Like

They’ll get it off ebay for fifty four quid, and then stick twenty on top and sell it on to you :joy:

You are awful, but I like you

2 Likes

Alright, fifteen then . . .

1 Like

Oh ok soz I didn’t spot that.

Here you go :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok, so my local music store. It’s not actually a store. It’s a district. It’s called Ochanomizu.

There’s a street there with dozens of musical instrument shops and one of the best selections of guitars in the world. ESP’s custom shop is there, as is their music college. There’s some small and ridiculously high end stores, some large chains, and a whole mix in between. If you ever visit Tokyo, you absolutely have to go.

Someone did a census once and there are more than 4500 basses on display any given day in these few blocks.

https://www.guitarplayer.com/guitaraficionado/tokyo-offers-possibly-the-greatest-selection-of-guitars-on-earth

That said - I just go there to ogle beautiful basses. I actually buy online. Though I almost bought a bass last time I went, it’s dangerous :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Gotta love Tokyo :smile:

4 Likes

I’ve never been.
I was just looking at photos of the place, and thinking how much I’d like to go there on as visit.

3 Likes

Should I tell them they can get it on amazon for under £50? Maybe they will give me a discount when they resell it to me

1 Like

Maybe you should just get it from Amazon yourself?

I never do things the simple way if there is a convoluted, difficult and expensive alternative.

2 Likes

@Mark_D and @studio: we may have found our own Statler and Waldorf for the forum :grin:

5 Likes

:crazy_face:

2 Likes

Fukin funny :joy:

3 Likes

Love x 1,000,000,000

It’s not just a place to try things out… the good ones (not usually the chains, as they have such high turnover rate - staff doesn’t have time to become specialized) have staff that really KNOW about gear.

Going in with questions to real people in real time with real gear to try is the best. People on commission that try and push shit on you with heavy sales pitches? Not the best.

Hopefully there’s a shop near y’all that hits those marks.

5 Likes

I really like the ability to go in and talk to people, especially when you do d those (very) few that like what they do and want to help, not just sell. When I bought my first bass, I went into a local place to get it. The guy was amazingly helpful and actually suggested something cheaper than what I wanted, because he didn’t want me to spend a lot on a hobby I gave up in a week. Plus, I had him recommended to me by name from a musician I know and trust. So that is always a good way to start!

As many have said though, the problem with local stores is a combination of price and selection. I wish my small, locally owned place could match online prices…but they can’t. And as far as selection goes…I certainly don’t live in Tokyo… For example, I went in just a few hours ago to get a hard case or gig bag for the ESP I am getting (soooo excited!!!) and they didn’t have anything that could fit. They actually only had one that would fit my Ibanez. The store has exactly 8 basses on display for purchase and as far as I know, the display models ARE the sale models. They have about triple that number in electric guitars and about half again the number of accoustic (plus a host of other instruments and musical equipment).

I do try to buy something when I go in though, just as a way to show support and thanks for their help answering questions. Today I got a VOX headphone amp. It was about $5 more than on Amazon (plus sales tax) but, I hate walking in, playing with 4-5 instruments, asking a ton of questions, and then chucking deuces without a a second thought.

3 Likes

I live across the street from a Guitar Center and I go there regularly. They are not the most knowledgeable staff but I don’t think that’s what they’re being hired for either. They are mostly helpful and pleasant to deal with.

Also, Guitar Center will match any advertised price (even on the Internet) for new gear and has fair prices for used gear. Their 45 day return policy carries it’s own weight. When I do decide I’m going to buy something, I’m going to to give them my business. I like having a local guitar store around and maybe giving them my business will help keep them around.

2 Likes

If you don’t have G.A.S before you go, you will have it when you leave.

I have a friend in Tokyo that has an open invitation for me to come visit. If I can ever make it out there I’ll have to make a day of it.

2 Likes

I highly recommend visiting if you get the chance. I love this place. The biggest danger is you fall in love with the place, go all in, and wake up ten years later here wondering where all the time has gone :slight_smile:

2 Likes